What's new
What's new

Gibbs blames video card for hangup...but on 3 computers?

SIM

Titanium
I've had a couple annoying glitches and zero time to really try to fix. I've contacted Gibbs with a response of "it's my Video Card". But it happens on two different computers with two different recommended Video Cards. On my main computer I have changed the Video card and no difference. Nvidia, NVS 290 on a Dell Precision with Duo Core, E7300 @ 2.66GHz / 2.66GHz and 2GB of RAM

So now as the Holidays creep upon us I have some time available and like to iron out these problems.

So what happens, the Contour Markers do not update. Select a line and when you choose which side of line you want to cut the Marker does not highlight the selected side, path is correct, just the Marker is presented wrong. If I pick an different starting location, I'll get a second Contour Marker on the screen..the old one is not active, but clutters up the screen.

Also now I have an issue with the Geometry Expert...modify an item and...well havoc happens. Sometimes it works other times it removes the entity and some connecting items or program hangs up. I've used before, so it's not me...at least I don't think so.

Any others besides me...hate going on a wild goose chase.

Thanks

What OS are you running? I would suggest evaluating your RAM and GPU capacity to see if you are running out of resources instead of assuming that you have a graphics glitch.

You can turn off advanced features of the graphics card by going to the troubleshooting section of the screen resolution setup.

To diagnose, I'd turn down hardware acceleration and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, try newer video drivers.

Has this always happened or recently started happening?

What OS are you running? I would suggest evaluating your RAM and GPU capacity to see if you are running out of resources instead of assuming that you have a graphics glitch.

I have 2GB of Ram and 207GB of memory open on a 250GB hard drive. Personally its Greek to me, but I was told it was more then adequate. I'm not assuming anything...I just get the same answer from Gibbs and IT people tell me I'm good...so I'm poking and hoping for a new direction, or someone says they have same issues and how they fixed or tried to fix.

Laptop is not quite up to the task...but gets by with similar glitches

jeffj You can turn off advanced features of the graphics card by going to the troubleshooting section of the screen resolution setup.

To diagnose, I'd turn down hardware acceleration and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, try newer video drivers.

Has this always happened or recently started happening?

Geometry Expert used to work great, flawlessly when I started...now I use less and less.

I'll give this a whirl...
It started a couple releases ago around the time I switched over to the thumb drive dongle.

Geometry Expert used to work great, flawlessly when I started...now I use less and less.

Running XP Pro on the Main Office Computer and Win7 on the Laptop.

Thanks

You are using a quadro NVS, which is a card designed for exclusively 2D applications. I don't use gibbs but a quick glance at their support pages suggests that they are becoming more invested in opengl rendering in recent releases - which means more hardware acceleration required.

Basically, it is probably your graphics card...

Kinda related but not really.... I'm running a vintage 2005 era Dell precision 380 w/ an ATI Fire GL V3100 using proEngineer 3D CAD at home. For the last year been fighting various issues when using the 3D modeler. Then started getting blue screens of death, more frequent software lockups. The BSoD error messages I googled and it was video driver related.

Talked to a computer geek friend of mine who said download and install the latest video card driver from video card mfgr website. I had done that awhile back and didn't help. But I did it again, there was a newer version available. It fixed all the issues after installing it! Computer runs a little faster too.

He said windows updates will F-up a system and its drivers over time. I'm running win XP Pro SP3 w/ 2GB RAM btw.

By todays standard not a very powerful machine but still does just fine for when I bring work home in the eves. My computer at work is maybe a yr old and much more powerful.

Ive encountered the same problem on multiple comps here. It seems as if Gibbs has trouble updating alot of actions while using. If you have a scroll mouse use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out and the graphics will adjust. works for me anyway!
Hope this helps!

-Greg

Back