What's new
What's new

Gibb's and Okuma anyone?

litlerob1

Diamond
So I have a possible job coming up that would require me to program using Gibb's, which I have used in the past just never on an Okuma. It is a Multus so Lathe main, sub, X,Y,Z,C,B,M, articulating tool holder/changer, side mount tool carousel. So I guess you would call it what, 10 Axis turning center? Just wondering if anyone has experience with this particular application. I've used Gibb's but it wasn't anything like this basic 3 axis milling and 2 axis turning. Anyone, anyone?

Robert

Does said company have a GOOD Post for that machine in Gibbs?

Do they have true G code Verification software for That machine?

Sounds like you have your hands full If you take on a programming job on a machine you've never used lol. Not saying you Can't btw

HAHHAHAHHA You almost made me squirt coffee out of my eye sockets, thanks for the reply R, but no, they don't, no one does but Okuma. And they want you to use their conversational (IGF). I seriously can't define how many hours I have spent inside post processors for Okuma, I love the machines but Okuma corp. doesn't want any software to run their machines, that's my only guess????

The company pays for maintenance, I can make it go, I was just wondering if anyone had done it before?

Robert

HAHHAHAHHA .. but no, they don't, no one does but Okuma. And they want you to use their conversational (IGF). I seriously can't define how many hours I have spent inside post processors for Okuma, I love the machines but Okuma corp. doesn't want any software to run their machines, that's my only guess????

Robert
not sure what you are talking about^^^
vericut simulates these every day that ends in Y.

IGF is good so i've heard. I have it on my macturn, but never messed with it.
Okuma has some apps that run on PC but they are seemingly near equal in price to CAM.

Esprit is best for syncing left and right chucks

I'm not sure what you are talking aboutˆˆˆˆ. Not trying to be a dick, but what do you mean "ends in Y"? I don't need anything to simulate anything, I need software to make chips, without a full 360º articulating 180º tool changer running into a 4000 RPM chuck,

Not worried about syncing chucks I can manage that, I hear NX is kinda top of the game these days though no experience.

RoRobert my ±2

IGF is good so i've heard. I have it on my macturn, but never messed with it.
Okuma has some apps that run on PC but they are seemingly near equal in price to CAM.

He's talking about a stand alone software that simulates the G Code, not verification inside *most* cam softwares. Most cam programs verify the .nc file NOT THE G CODE.

Also, I know there are posts proven for 99% of Okuma's But they are $$$$$$.

I know your very capable, but if someone invests BIG $$ in a Multus they might be penny wise/dollar stupid to not invest in the right post.

The latest Gibbscam has quite some improvements on Mill/Turn and dual chuck simulation. Gibbs will easily do what are wanting, but you will need to buy the correct post processer and have the correct options avialable on Gibbs.

The latest Gibbscam has quite some improvements on Mill/Turn and dual chuck simulation. Gibbs will easily do what are wanting, but you will need to buy the correct post processer and have the correct options avialable on Gibbs.

I understand that and I know they can do it, I have done it alone. But I got off the phone with them (Gibbs) and they say; "well we'll write a post for you, but you are going to have to send it in 10 or 20 times to get the bugs out". I wrote 3 of my own post processors for Okuma, and I would not sell them for anything below 50k. So do we need to pay them another 50 for a decent post that I have to send results and have modified? And basically do all the debugging for them? Well fella's I need it to say G85 instead of G72, then wait 2 weeks for it to be active? So I can say well fella's I need it to say N100 on the G85 line after the G85 so it knows what the cut parameters are, and G81 N100 so it knows where to start, and G80 with no N100 so it knows where to end, and oh by the way the macro variables don't work in any way shape or form that a Fansuc does.

Sorry for the rant.

Robert

Personally I would be finding out what company (Mastercam, Esprit, NX, TopSolid) HAS A WORKING POST for that machine and go with that Software.

I'm betting It'll end up faster and cheaper than sticking with Gibbs.... JM2¢

having spent the better part of a year tweaking on a milling post with a PAID third part vendor for my macturn, i feel the pain.
not so funny thing is, they just hit me up for the final payment. now we are on rev 21 and it is still not complete.
guys had never posted for Okuma or mastercam....
developer, who shall remain nameless, should be paying me for debugging for them.

having spent the better part of a year tweaking on a milling post with a PAID third part vendor for my macturn, i feel the pain.
not so funny thing is, they just hit me up for the final payment. now we are on rev 21 and it is still not complete.
guys had never posted for Okuma or mastercam....
developer, who shall remain nameless, should be paying me for debugging for them.

Same thing happened with me on our Mazak Integrex.. Promised Working Post... after 8 months finally worked without a bunch of edits... During this I was learning to write posts.. Then we updated to the new revision of the cam software post didn't work at all! Pissed off! Mazak blamed on the vendor..Vendor blamed Mazak... well I yes me finally figured it out then they wanted the post!

please excuse my ignorance

I have only just gotten back into cnc machines after 15 years, and I have no idea what you mean by 'posts'
Could someone please fill me in?

I have just purchased an old Mori Seiki MV40 made in 1982, so obviously I'm not up with you modern blokes.

I also have a Takasawa TC-4 from 1986.

Cheers

I have only just gotten back into cnc machines after 15 years, and I have no idea what you mean by 'posts'
Could someone please fill me in?

I have just purchased an old Mori Seiki MV40 made in 1982, so obviously I'm not up with you modern blokes.

I also have a Takasawa TC-4 from 1986.

Cheers
It's a software translator that makes code for your specific machine.

Cheers

It's a software translator that makes code for your specific machine.

Thanks, I'll have to find one of these suitable for my old machines.
But at this stage I can't afford a great deal. Only started my company 2 weeks ago.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll have to find one of these suitable for my old machines.
But at this stage I can't afford a great deal. Only started my company 2 weeks ago.

Cheers

It will depend on which software you are using, as well as which machine/control combo.

Some of the softwares have pretty extensive Post Processor libraries included in their package deal, others, like Gibbs, seem pretty intent on keeping the software buyer coming back to them and handing out post files on a one-at-a-time basis, and charging a fair buck for each one.

As you may be able to pick up from the chatter about them, some of the really complex more-than-five axis machines, can be...problematic.

If you are running something that is not exactly bleeding edge, then like as not, there are a bunch of working post files out there that are going to work for you.

Cheers
Trev

I know Gibbs has Ok posts for Multus/Macturn. I haven't used it but a few friends that do program with Gibbs. I've used Esprit for machines with more than one turret and used to use MasterCam for a single turret multus

Back