What's new
What's new

Gibbscam programming multiple operations

lakey0

Aluminum
We are running Gibbscam and programming for our Hurco VMC. I'm setting up for a job that has 3 operations to it. Going to be making a fixture, so 3 vices in the machine, holding 3 different fixtures, 4 parts at a time. What is the best way to program for this? Right now easiest way that I know is to make 3 separate programs and then combine them. But that is not efficient as far as tool changes go to use tools that are used in each OP.

Do I need find the exact distance between the fixtures and draw it up that way? When the job repeats, do you do that all over again set it up in machine and get the exact distance and change the program?

Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Use a different Work offset for each fixture/part. Cut everything in 1 program. No need to know how far apart the fixtures are on the machine.

Assuming Hurco codes are like Fanuc:

Fixture 1 = G54
Fixture 2 = G55
Fixture 3 = G56

etc...

Depending on how your posts is setup a "NEWWFO(1,2,3 etc.)" in the operation start data of the operation at the start of the 2nd op should post updated fixture offsets for all consecutive ops. Your post might be setup to use the WFO column on the CS palette instead.

If you want to totally optimize the tool usage then using the operation manager to assign NEWWFO(#) callups to each operation and reorder your operations to limit unnecessary tool changes is your best bet. You can do it through the operation data screen but it's tedious for anything more than a few operations.

I understand the work offsets. But how can you program 3 different operations and put that all into 1 program? I get I could make 3 separate programs, combine them together and use Work Offsets. That would complete fixture 1 G54, complete fix. 2 G55, complete fix. 3 G56. I want tool 1, face mill, to face on G54 go to G55 face. T2 1/2 E.M. mill G54, go to G55, go to G56 and so on.... Is this easily possible?

In Gibbs can I draw each fixture under different Work Groups and then tell each Work Group to be a different Work Offset? Is this possible? I know when posting a program you can tell it multiple parts and then that creates how many ever work offsets, but that would just be repeating everything programmed, not each fixture/set of parts.

Am I clear on what I am asking??

Depending on how your posts is setup a "NEWWFO(1,2,3 etc.)" in the operation start data of the operation at the start of the 2nd op should post updated fixture offsets for all consecutive ops. Your post might be setup to use the WFO column on the CS palette instead.

If you want to totally optimize the tool usage then using the operation manager to assign NEWWFO(#) callups to each operation and reorder your operations to limit unnecessary tool changes is your best bet. You can do it through the operation data screen but it's tedious for anything more than a few operations.

I think I get what you are saying. I am messing around with it to see if I can get what I want. Thanks

I want tool 1, face mill, to face on G54 go to G55 face. T2 1/2 E.M. mill G54, go to G55, go to G56 and so on.... Is this easily possible?
I do this in Mastercam all the time. I'm sure that Gibbs has this functionality also since it's pretty basic. Hopefully others with Gibbs experience will be able to help you better than I can.

I understand the work offsets. But how can you program 3 different operations and put that all into 1 program? I get I could make 3 separate programs, combine them together and use Work Offsets. That would complete fixture 1 G54, complete fix. 2 G55, complete fix. 3 G56. I want tool 1, face mill, to face on G54 go to G55 face. T2 1/2 E.M. mill G54, go to G55, go to G56 and so on.... Is this easily possible?

In Gibbs can I draw each fixture under different Work Groups and then tell each Work Group to be a different Work Offset? Is this possible? I know when posting a program you can tell it multiple parts and then that creates how many ever work offsets, but that would just be repeating everything programmed, not each fixture/set of parts.

Am I clear on what I am asking??

Do you use a posthaste template to generate code from gibbs?

edit- Are you talking have it generate 4 sets of 3 operations? So 12 offsets?

Or one offset per fixture that contains 4 parts? 3 offsets

Lets use a simple facing operation for an example you have 2 coordinate systems made. One is .020 below top of stock, center and the other is bottom of stock, center:

Op1 roughing operation uses coord system one from the Mach CS drop down menu on the bottom right and should be facing to a hypothetical height of 0.
Op2 roughing operation uses coord system two from the Mach CS drop down menu on the bottom right and lets say you face it to a height of +.750.

To post the program whole so that it uses G54 and G55 you would right click on the finished cam tile, select operation data and input a NEWWFO(2) in the utility data field "at op start" of the tile where you want it to start using the G55. No newwfo(1) is required at the beginning of the program unless you want to switch back to using G54 within the posted code.

in gibbs cam you make seperate coordinate systems. In the coordinate system box is a wfo column. You can place the differeant coordinate systems around the same part ( different faces etc. ) just as you would a HMC with rotary.... then instead of a rotary moving the part you move it manually. all code for the different Coordiante systems outputs to the programmed offsets, which is set in the machine.

Thanks everyone for the help, I finally got everything programmed and is working well. Pretty simple

Another question I have though is when posting my program it puts in the different work offsets like I want it to, G54 G55 G56, but I'm not sure if it's my post or how Gibbs works but it puts this in:

( OPERATION 1: CONTOUR )
( WORKGROUP )
( TOOL 1: 3. FACE ENDMILL )
( 3 INCH FACE MILL ALUM INSERTS )
( CS#1 - G54 )
( G54 = X0. Y0. Z0. )<----------------------------------------------
G54
S3820M3
G0X.684Y1.568
Z.1M8

The Hurco control reads this as the actual location of the work offset and puts that in every time the work offset changes. Despite what I have in the control for locations. All I need to do is delete that line and then it reads what the work offsets are in the control and is all good. But just the hassle of going through deleting that line is annoying. Is there a way to get rid of this? Or can I enter my work offset locations into Gibbs to match what is on the control so it works out??

post processor preferences

Thanks everyone for the help, I finally got everything programmed and is working well. Pretty simple

Another question I have though is when posting my program it puts in the different work offsets like I want it to, G54 G55 G56, but I'm not sure if it's my post or how Gibbs works but it puts this in:

( OPERATION 1: CONTOUR )
( WORKGROUP )
( TOOL 1: 3. FACE ENDMILL )
( 3 INCH FACE MILL ALUM INSERTS )
( CS#1 - G54 )
( G54 = X0. Y0. Z0. )<----------------------------------------------
G54
S3820M3
G0X.684Y1.568
Z.1M8

The Hurco control reads this as the actual location of the work offset and puts that in every time the work offset changes. Despite what I have in the control for locations. All I need to do is delete that line and then it reads what the work offsets are in the control and is all good. But just the hassle of going through deleting that line is annoying. Is there a way to get rid of this? Or can I enter my work offset locations into Gibbs to match what is on the control so it works out??

All you need to do is go to post processor preferences and "unclick" any boxes you don't want to be in your program .

Back