What's new
What's new

Help With MCAM: Roughing a Tapered Auger.

NodecoMachine

Cast Iron
Hello PMers,

I'm trying to figure out how to rough out the helix of and Auger using HSM toolpaths. We keep getting more and more Augers that we need to make and our current strategy is extremely time consuming. First thing is, we do these on a Haas VF0 with 4th axis (HA5C which is a small full 4th) and simply do a X, Z, and A move do feed down along the Auger "flights" but take full width and shallow depth.
My goal is to do more of a peel milling operation starting furthest away from the 4th axis and rough towards the 4th axis to maintain as much rigidity as possible while roughing. What would be the right toolpath to choose for this?

Other details:

The part is approx. 14" long with 3" major diameter and 1.5" minor diameter on large side and tapers to 1.25" major diameter and .38" minor diameter. The pitch is 1-1/4" and we turn a "blank" of finished OD dimensions before bringing it to the mill.

When roughing with our current strategy we need to offset the tool off center in Y so that while the part is rotating the material is not coming up into the center of the bottom of the endmill. Staying on center in Y made terrible noises.

We have MCX6 at the shop but I also have access to MCX9 at my other job both have multiaxis toolpaths.

Thanks in advance!!
Scott

You need something like Peel Mill using Axis Substitution, but that being a taper auger that probably won't work.

Finishing, probably Morph Between Two Curves

I'm pretty sure couple of the Advanced multi-ax paths have peel mill roughing.

Post you file over at eMastercam Forum, and you'll get your answer....

Back