What's new
What's new

Help Need software

redevo

Plastic
Purchased lightmachine spectalight lathe with no software.Can generate gcode programs from okuma igf (have two at place of work),is there anyway

to avoid purchase of spectracam software from intelitek(very pricey).thanks any help will be appriciated.

I see two ways you could go:

Certain members of this forum will be glad to supply you with a cracked version of some cam software. Mastercam 9.1 is a good choice.

Go legitimate. Not all programming software is high priced. There is a version of APT, the oldest programming software on the market, that is very reasonably priced. The APT processor is a joint development of NASA, Boeing, U.S Airforce, M.I.T. and a bunch of brain trusts. It was developed at taxpayer expense and is open for public use. The adaptation to running on a modern PC and the expense of the postprocessors as well as a graphics package is what you pay for. Below is a link to an outfit with a nice implementation of APT. It has postprocessor generators for lathe as well as machining centers. I get cleaner output for our Charmilles 6020si from this software than from Esprit. This will not program a Swiss turning center with 11 axes but does just fine for a 2-axis lathe. I have been a customer of Mr. Drewry's since the late 80's and he is very responsive to any problems. Yes, there are free downloads including the full documentation package. This is a script based software rather than using a GUI. But I seem to have better control over output than I do with Masterscam or Esprit.

Are you fluent with G-code programming? If not, it might be a good idea to stick with g-code programming until you are. Modern machine controls make it very easy.

http://www.cncfocus.com/

Thanks whollymacro,will look into that.I have no problem with g code, been doin it for 20 years now,and have the coversational igf on my okumas that can download to flopy any program I create.what I am concerned with is the pc interface and machine controling software for this particular lathe,not sure where to start.Thanks again

igf is g-code so not problem sending to pc. programming offline igf may not be avaiable.

Thanks guys for feedback alot,and as DOUG said I will be needing interface and controling software for this little toy, not for production or profit, but my intention was to show my 9 year old and his cub den that a pc can be used for more than killing aliens.I am not sure of model vintage yet because has not arrived as of now.This lathe was used by tech schools for training kids and I still hope I can get it to go.Will be asking more Questions from you guys . thanks much!!!

Thanks guys for feedback alot,and as DOUG said I will be needing interface and controling software for this little toy, not for production or profit, but my intention was to show my 9 year old and his cub den that a pc can be used for more than killing aliens.I am not sure of model vintage yet because has not arrived as of now.This lathe was used by tech schools for training kids and I still hope I can get it to go.Will be asking more Questions from you guys . thanks much!!!

If Light Machines can't help you, you may be looking at building a new control (which is not that hard to do - I've guided folks thru the processes here before).

Before considering that however, I have a couple of questions:

How much did you spend on the machine?

How much are you willing to spend on it?

How good are your wiring and electronic skills? (i.e, are you comfortable building your own PC from parts? Can you solder a few wires together?)

Back