What's new
What's new

Honeycomb Pattern

Tbev

Aluminum
Does anyone have a honeycomb pattern cad file? I want to throw a pattern on a piece of aluminum, like a 4x4in or something similar. I've spent way too many hours trying to do it myself, can't do it. Much appreciated.

Thanks Neil! I'll take a look as soon as I can get to a pc, right now I'm out with just a phone and I can't open yours, I certainly appreciate it!

This is whatd I'm looking for, I'd like to cut the insides out. Like 0.03in deep and paint over and sand to leave lunges exposed and paint in the recessed. ...or something like that. . Haha.. we'll see if I can pull if off I'll post pics for sure.
c522acff6ed07f8243cc5f8e711986a9.jpg

This is s close as I've gotten but it's trash, the pattern is not good enough, and I'm not good enough to fix it. I think of I get a patten that's good I can pull it off.

tell me the size of the circumscribe circle you want, the cutter radius, and the size of the piece and I'll make you one

Does anyone have a honeycomb pattern cad file? I want to throw a pattern on a piece of aluminum, like a 4x4in or something similar. I've spent way too many hours trying to do it myself, can't do it. Much appreciated.

If you are beaten by a simple task like that, I dunno about your future in designing something that is actually difficult. You better stick with it until you get it. It should take about 15 seconds, if you have a CAD that is user friendly :D

Thanks Neil! I'll take a look as soon as I can get to a pc, right now I'm out with just a phone and I can't open yours, I certainly appreciate it!

This is whatd I'm looking for, I'd like to cut the insides out. Like 0.03in deep and paint over and sand to leave lunges exposed and paint in the recessed. ...or something like that. . Haha.. we'll see if I can pull if off I'll post pics for sure.
c522acff6ed07f8243cc5f8e711986a9.jpg

This is s close as I've gotten but it's trash, the pattern is not good enough, and I'm not good enough to fix it. I think of I get a patten that's good I can pull it off.

Alright I can see you're using Fusion 360. This should be pretty straightforward, and I'll see if I can make a screencast before heading to work.

Edit: something like this work?

Honeycomb.jpg

Here's a screencast I did of a simple pattern for a honeycomb solution in Fusion 360. You can do this pretty much any way you want to, make patterns of patterns, etc. Remember that the best thing you can do is add this to a model for the CAM side. Working from sketches is not a strong suit in Fusion.

It won't let me embed the screencast in the post, so here's a link: Honeycomb Pattern | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Cool, yeah thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
57d8ccd2e18a78c3d50376f31f1826d7.jpg

This is what I'm trying to do. I agree in the sketch environment is tough in fusion

This is what I'm trying to do. I agree in the sketch environment is tough in fusion

The problem is what do you want with the thick negative (black) space? Are you trying to mill that section out or the positive (white) space? What sort of size constraints are you dealing with? What size (inscribed or circumscribed?) hexagons do you want and what spacing? The pattern is relatively easy, and if you're having trouble I can make one and export it as an .F3D file you can import to your project.

I'm looking to mill out the white spaces and leave the black alone. A 4in x 4in square would be awesome. I'm thinking 0.25in. Across the inside each hexagon, maybe 0.075in spacing...something in that ballpark. Does that help/sound right?

Here's a dxf

I've sketched it variable driven, this is 0.5" circum, 0.75" center to center, I can change any of that if you need

Attachments

• honeycomb.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 119
What a coincidence. I just made this for a customer the other day...
Wow, that looks fantastic! That's the opposite of why I want to do, I want to mill out the insides and leave the lines. I'll post pics when I get to pump it out.

So cool, thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the effort and time you put in to help me out! I'll post pics when I do it. I'm want to run the pattern over cerakote covered parts and I want to paint some after I do the pattern, and then sand the paint off the top, leaving it inside the polygons.

Looks good, Tbev.

Looking at the as-machined pic, I see those random looking arcs between pocketing passes. When I was playing around simulating various pocketing methods I was puzzled by them. Appearance-wise, IMO, they don't look good.

Then I discovered you can eliminate them by zeroing the lead-in, lead-out in the CAM linking tab.
Wow that's grea, thanks Doug! I hate those, it will look a better without!

Back