What's new
What's new

How do I engrave simple stick type font in mastercam X9 within solidworks?

ghost_rider

Aluminum
I have been trying to figure out how to engrave a simple stick type font for part numbers and am failing miserably. I have provided a sample picture of what I am trying to do. But I need to project this onto a surface and I cannot do that with the macro I have made for flat objects. Which is how I did the sample in the picture.

Typically I go to tools, sketch entities and then use text to do this. But I do not like the block style letters I get. So I did some research and I have found out the OLF sans is a simple stick type font. Problem is it is not recognized when I try to project it onto the surface with mastercam. I normally use a contour tool path and turn off lead in/out as well as cutter comp and it gives me what I want on a flat part. on a surface I use the project toolpath and select curves as the source. But for some reason I cannot select the OLF sans font as a curve. Does anyone have a simple solution? simple engraving.JPG

Edit: Misread your post. Mtndew might be onto something with trying to break up the text font into individual lines and then going after it like a contour.

Create letters, window chain, turn lead in lead out to off, turn compensation to off

project onto surface/solid as needed...

create.jpg

create 1.jpg

create 2.jpg

create 3.jpg

Break drafting into lines?

how do you do this? The training I had on solidworks was back when I was in high school in 2000.

and mike1974 That is how I do it now but when I use the OLF font it will not select the text as curves. In fact it will not select them at all.

how do you do this? The training I had on solidworks was back when I was in high school in 2000.

and mike1974 That is how I do it now but when I use the OLF font it will not select the text as curves. In fact it will not select them at all.

You do it from within Mastercam. I don't know jack about Solidworks so you may be able to do it there also.
I can't remember exactly what it's called in X9 and I'm on 2018 right now, but I think it's "Drafting/Break into lines".

I don't know if this will help you since I run a mastercam addin inside of solidworks. I sketch my text using Solidworks and then right click the text and click dissolve sketch text. It will turn the text into line segments that you can then drive your contour path off of.

In Solidworks, it's best to do the following: Start a new sketch, select the text tool and in the text menu un-check the Use System Font dialog. Then use the font, "OLF SimpleSansOC" You would never guess from the font window but this is a line font so perfect for engraving with a point tool. You then need to export this to MaterCAM, and I'm not sure if there any tricks there but it's definitely do-able. We've done lots of engraving this way.

I'm a little confused here. You said "simple stick type font" which Mastercam defaults too (box font, which is just 'sticks', at least for me) when you use the "create letters" function. I am not sure what "OLF" font is as it does not show up when I do create letters. I just tried and I can engrave even "bradley hand itc" font (or something)...

txt.jpg

I don't know if this will help you since I run a mastercam addin inside of solidworks. I sketch my text using Solidworks and then right click the text and click dissolve sketch text. It will turn the text into line segments that you can then drive your contour path off of.

I will have to try this. We only run the mastercam that runs within solidworks. we do not have stand alone version on the floor.

Bigbore050 gets the gold star today. I did exactly this and other then the top of a 8 it did what I needed. I quickly redrew the top of the 8 and we were in business. Thanks a bunch

In Solidworks, it's best to do the following: Start a new sketch, select the text tool and in the text menu un-check the Use System Font dialog. Then use the font, "OLF SimpleSansOC" You would never guess from the font window but this is a line font so perfect for engraving with a point tool. You then need to export this to MaterCAM, and I'm not sure if there any tricks there but it's definitely do-able. We've done lots of engraving this way.

I like the OLF font. that is what I want to use. But for some reason mastercam will not pick the text when it is in that font.

I will have to try this. We only run the mastercam that runs within solidworks. we do not have stand alone version on the floor.

Bigbore050 gets the gold star today. I did exactly this and other then the top of a 8 it did what I needed. I quickly redrew the top of the 8 and we were in business. Thanks a bunch

I like the OLF font. that is what I want to use. But for some reason mastercam will not pick the text when it is in that font.

Good I'm glad you got it. I must have missed the title where you said you run Mastercam as a add-in with Solidworks.

How do you like the Mastercam Add-in?

I do not mind it. I originally learned on 9.2 Which was ok once you got used to how you need to manipulate the part to get it spun in the right direction as well as all the other key strokes. This addin is a lot easier to use compared to 9.2. But I learned how to program long hand at the machine and I prefer to still do that if possible. I got really spoiled with a HAAS on the programing end of it because of how user friendly it is. We have three Haas where I am at now but I never get a chance to run them. I mostly run a makino, a big Doosan (I believe the biggest c frame mill they make) and a Hyundai lathe. All have fanuc controllers on them. so running cam is almost a must have for anything more then drilling a few holes or trimming a few ends.

If your using Mastercam for Solidworks , go into the Mastercam toolpath utilities tab, there is a function to create letters. It uses the same fonts as standalone Mastercam and it is a Mastercam function not Solidworks. It will just ask you to pick a sketch plane. Draw your letters. Then contour like you would normally but select the sketch. You can then use a projected toolpath on the face you want the engraving.

here is the final picture of what it looks like on the part. I feel it looks cleaner then the block style lettering I was using.

Thanks to those that helped

IMG_6171.JPG

Back