What's new
What's new

How does your CAM system handle Countersink Holes

aldepoalo

Stainless
Hello Everyone!

I am trying to get some feedback on how your CAM system handles countersink holes. In the BobCAD software we use a center drill operation. It's a little confusing for some users because we call it a center drill operation. Many programmers will say not to use a center drill but a spot drill. This operation can use either a center drill tool or a spot drill / chamfer tool. After we've selected the hole geometry and picked our tool you're presented with this parameter window in our mill hole wizard.

center drill parameters.jpg

Users can define the center/spot cycle by entering the depth, the center diameter or the center angle. The parameter fields are tied together as a calculator. So as you change the depth input the center diameter is updated based on your tool. Or as your change the center diameter the depth is calculated and updated in the input field.

If you change the center angle, the depth / center diameter would also be updated. Allowing users to enter common angles like 60, 82.5, 90, 110...

Using this built in calculator, it makes it easy to spot holes and chamfer at the same time, or spot the hole to the counersink diameter.

So the question is how does your CAM system handle this same processes?

No direct response to your question, as I usually treat countersinks as drills and just use a G81 or G83 for the process (rarely need to dwell as it's usually Al). But I do have a gripe about the lack of certainty about where the "tip" of the countersink is relative to the actual cutting angle/diameter, as some manufacturers either shorten the tip or grind with an offset that cuts large if you just set off the tip. Ditto when using chamfer mills.

Wish there was an industry standard that would include a "functional offset" when a vendor described a quality countersink or cham mill. Would make setup and uniform cutting much easier, IMO.

In Smurfcam, the spot or center drill cycle, you enter the desired diameter and depth is calculated for you, based on the tool's setup (angle)

I find it odd though, only the countersink cycle has a clickable field for entering the diameter. Click the arrow, click on your hole and it measures the diameter and enters it for you.

I use that frequently, and spot/center drill very rarely.

I don't see a way to compensate for the pilot length. US center drills are supposedly standardized but I wouldn't count on that. Also people have been known to regrind the pilot point.

Seems odd that mill software would default to a center drill for spotting holes, they aren't very efficient tools.

in HSM/Inventor we give it the tool geometry then pick the best drill operation and verify in simulation the cutter is going as deep as it should. no problems

Back