What's new
What's new

How to make pipe tangent to plate in SW?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I'm making an assembly of a pipe welded to a flat piece of plate. I could cheat and draw a tiny flat on the pipe and mate the two surfaces, but is there a way to do this without "cheating"?
Thanks in advance
i_r_machinist

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 351
There is a tangent mate.

Better would be to create and axis at the center of the pipe. Use that axis to mate two perpendicular planes. Then use the planes to mate the part using the offset mate. This is also the best way to mate it from the side of the plate.

There is a tangent mate.

Better would be to create and axis at the center of the pipe. Use that axis to mate two perpendicular planes. Then use the planes to mate the part using the offset mate. This is also the best way to mate it from the side of the plate.

Tan mate and Angle mate on planes.

Or Sketch just what you want it to do and mate to lines.

3D Rich

Best way is to have one sketch as a master, then each part in an assembly uses that master sketch to build from, pretty much removes the use of most mates. Difference between top down and bottom up modeling.

you should be using weldments in a part file, uses multiple bodies.

it will give you a cut list for all the bodies, like a BOM.

that way you just sketch and extrude like you would any feature in a part, simple, no mating.

but if I was doing this in an assembly I would do this top down (not make the part then insert it in the assembly- called bottom up), meaning edit part in the assembly and you would draw the sketch on a face\plane in position and extrude it up to a face to control the length or blind dim.

How did you go? It is sort of not straight forward but when you get your head around it you will wonder how you did without it.

Back