What's new
What's new

How to sweep this in autodesk inventor?

adammil1

Titanium
Does anyone know how to sweep the circle in the image below around the edges of the hole? I am using Autodesk Inventor. I don't know how well it will show in the image below but the base surface with the half oval cut through it is actually a curved surface where the rear circle was a projected cut off a plane suspended above it. I want to sweep in the red arrow motion seen below. However the trouble is inventor won't allow me to select the lines from the cut out surface. There isn't any real way to put a sketch plane on the rear circle so sketching a line on it is out of the question. Does anyone have a good idea of how to do this? I can get the circle to go on either side no problem simply by putting a sketch plane on the flats, it is that rear circle that has me scratching my head.

sweep.JPG sweep2.JPG

I havent used inventor in a while but it should allow you to create a 3D sketch, pick the edge you want to sweep along, and use that for your sweep path. At least that's how SolidWorks would let me do it.

it works just like you think it does. enter the sweep command...select the .5 circle as the sweep profile...then select the slot edge as the sweep path. I just did it. I used IV2012

Attachments

• sweep.jpg
    sweep.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 622
I may have done it in a different method than you, but it did allow me to use the top edge of the cutout feature as the path without any issue.

Basically, what I did is to extrude two concentric circle segments and made a cutout similar to yours.
Then created the circle on the face for the profile and selected the upper edge as the path.
I even made another sweep where the sketch ( circle ) wasn't normal to the face, it still worked.

I have IV 2012 Pro, so if yours is the same I can look at your file and see what might be happening.

BTW.

What do you guys use for screen capture???

Thanks for the help everyone. It wouldn't let me do the sweep with out 2 active sketches which I didn't have due to the way I cut the hole, so I wound up going to the sketch tool and clicking for a 3D sketch. I never have used the 3D sketch tool before but it worked great. I just clicked on the geometery to include in the sketch and that was all it took, to allow for me to run the sweep like I usually do. Here's the end result;
sweep3.JPG

Seymour, for the screen shots, I have the latest version of Windows and it came with a snipping tool. It is a lot like snag-it which I use all the time at work. It basically is an upscale screen shot tool that allows you to manually select a portion of the screen. I believe inventor has a built in screen capture tool but 90% of the time this works far better as you can just get the little piece that you are looking for.

What do you guys use for screen capture???
I just do "save copy as" and save it as a JPG. it will save a JPG of whatever your current screen is showing, so you can zoom in to a particular area as required before doing the save.

Adam...I just tried again with IV2011 and you are right, it does not allow you to select that edge, you have to create a 3D sketch. Both Seymour and I were using 2012 where you do not need two individual sketches anymore. I forgot about that from the previous versions.

Back