What's new
What's new

How are you programming 5axis trunnion with turning options?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
We have a okuma 6300 5x AC trunnion mill with the "turning option." The C axis table spins at 1200 rpm I believe. I use mastercam. In mcam you can call up a mill or a lathe, or a mill/turn with a B axis, where the spindle head rotates right? But I am not familiar with this style of programming. I guess I could just program like a simple lathe and manually insert the A axis rotations and mcodes needed to spin the table. But...

There is a post available for this machine from Impostablilty and maybe this opens up the options.

We have a okuma 6300 5x AC trunnion mill with the "turning option." The C axis table spins at 1200 rpm I believe. I use mastercam. In mcam you can call up a mill or a lathe, or a mill/turn with a B axis, where the spindle head rotates right? But I am not familiar with this style of programming. I guess I could just program like a simple lathe and manually insert the A axis rotations and mcodes needed to spin the table. But...

There is a post available for this machine from Impostablilty and maybe this opens up the options.

I don't really see where this style of machine is significantly different than any other mill/turn combination. I'm not programming one, but the building blocks seem functionally the same.

I don't really see where this style of machine is significantly different than any other mill/turn combination. I'm not programming one, but the building blocks seem functionally the same.

I read the post as he is questioning how to do it on the CAM side, not necessarily if the machine is capable or not.

I read the post as he is questioning how to do it on the CAM side, not necessarily if the machine is capable or not.

That's what I mean, though.. It's just a matter of stitching together of some turning code with some milling code, right? I can see, similar to a b-axis turning center, wanting some better simulation capabilities, particularly around the definition of the toolholding, which varies quite a bit from standing stick tooling. Otherwise, it would seem like a simpler problem than your average b-axis, two turret turning center.. which leaves a few decent options on the table.

Not a whole lot of help given that you are asking in the CAD/CAM forum, but I'm working with MU-L's. I've just been programming them by hand. Turning function supports LAP cycles, tool nose radius comp & grooving. I've never been into using CAM for turning, so it wasn't that much of a jump for me when I got onto it.

Are you using turning function at all now? PM me your email if you would like, I'd like to compare notes on the turning function and may be able to help out if you are just getting started.

Lance

Wonder what the code looks like to do that. How is the offset of the turning tool from spindle centerline compensated? Handled at the machine control? Or the offset calculated from CAM? TCPC is neat stuff.

I have seen two companies with posts like this. The best one was made by Dave Thompson. I highly recommend calling him up.
Pretty seamless and easy, just program in Mastercam lathe as you would normally.

[email protected]

Back