What's new
What's new

HSM works vs Mastercam

Curt B

Cast Iron
Greetings,

I have the choice in front of me to either learn Solidworks and it's HSM express/works toolpath module or get a seat of Mastercam which I have long experience with but will still have to import from solidworks thru engineering. Curious to hear what limitations anyone has experienced with HSM works and/or express. Personally I think all CAM systems suck in comparison to clever use of macros. I patiently wait until one of you fellows invents a CAM system that fully exploits macro capability. Call it "Macrocam" and send me a beta seat.

Greetings,

I have the choice in front of me to either learn Solidworks and it's HSM express/works toolpath module or get a seat of Mastercam which I have long experience with but will still have to import from solidworks thru engineering. Curious to hear what limitations anyone has experienced with HSM works and/or express. Personally I think all CAM systems suck in comparison to clever use of macros. I patiently wait until one of you fellows invents a CAM system that fully exploits macro capability. Call it "Macrocam" and send me a beta seat.

I hugely prefer HSMWorks, but believe Mastercam ultimately gives better control over toolpath. Especially if you're designing the part, HSMWorks by a long shot. Same goes if you're being fed a model that's likely to wind up going through design changes.

Greetings,

first off do a lot of changes happen from engineering that you have to keep opening new SW files in Master?

if so with HSMWorks, engineering does a change to the part the HSM updates the change in the toolpath's and all you have to do is re-post the code, of course within reason dimension changes easy, new features may have to edit or add toolpath.

As for express it is really only 2d and you don't get the slick 3d adaptive clearing or pocking for your solids.

With MC you are gonna get way more control over your toolpaths than HSM works. Depends on the complexiety of the work your gonna do I guess...

I hear that the solids are gonna change with MC X8, which is the next release. In all reality MC is more of a CAM than CAD program for sure.

Hsmworks Hands Down.

Better Interface, Very Solid in Solidworks, Quick ToolPaths, Editing Post Processor is pretty easy but the lathe package is junk (may not affect you)

Thanks for the input guys. In house manufacturing is a new thing for the engineering department I'm working with so there will be many changes that simplify and speed up things. Still wondering how user friendly post editing is as well as the shortcomings on the turning side of it as I see another lathe in my near future. Parts aren't overly complex as a calculator an a pencil are gettin it done for now but generating path right from the model will free me up from that chore.

Greetings,

CAM programs are gigantic macros, when you think about it. It's not a macro that you run in g-code, but probably in most modern CAM systems, its as easy to change a cutting parameter or a toolpath on the computer, verify the result and repost. Editing macros safely on the machine, eh, not so much.

MC is a CAM package and should be used as such. Every once in a I'll create some 2D toolpath geometry in MC, but I won't use it's version of "solids," because it's atrocious. If I want to create a solid model I'll use a CAD package. I do find that as a CAM package, MC is very capable.

it all comes down what you're trying to do. easy parts? nothing too complex? than hsmworks....more complex parts and more control over toolpath? mastercam for sure. hswworks is easier to use but mastercam is hands down way more powerful

Whats the cost difference... Anyone know?
Mastercam mill level one vs hsm comparable..

And do you need to own solidworks to operate hsm works?

I had a salesman from the local Mastercam reseller come in. He quoted me about double what HSMworks ended up costing me, even with all the "discounts" on Mastercam.

One big deciding factor for me was I did want something fast to learn and that I could program my parts fast without a lot of drawing containment zones. I had a model of a pattern I had just made when the Mastercam salesman came in. The only way he knew how to contain toolpaths was to draw a bunch of containment zones, he struggled with toolpathing the model. There was no demo version available "you need the training that we provide". They would throw the training in for "free" if I bought the software for around $15 000.

HSMworks gave me a free month trial and wrote a post for me. I had a couple of online meetings where I was shown how to use the software on my parts and used the posts to produce parts before I committed to buying the software.

Mastercam MAY allow you more control if you spend the time to fully learn how to use it but I was not ready to drop $15000 to see if it was more powerful.

it all comes down what you're trying to do. easy parts? nothing too complex? than hsmworks....more complex parts and more control over toolpath? mastercam for sure. hswworks is easier to use but mastercam is hands down way more powerful

that's because you want to sell your training software for Mastercam, OPPS MY BAD, WRONG SOFTWARE.:bowdown:

Whats the cost difference... Anyone know?
Mastercam mill level one vs hsm comparable..

And do you need to own solidworks to operate hsm works?

if mill level one is just 2d, then HSM for the same is free as long as you already have SW.

that's because you want to sell your training software for Mastercam

thanx for your assumptions but if i did, wouldn't have included links to what i do and sell? i also sell solidcam and solidworks videos, so please don't assume, i'm merely giving my opinion based on 10 plus year of using almost half the Cam software out there. if you used those two software for a week you would know the difference. hsmworks will do the job but you definitely have much more control over what you do in mastercam. that's not an opinon, it's a known fact if you have used both.

thanx for your assumptions but if i did, wouldn't have included links to what i do and sell? i also sell solidcam and solidworks videos, so please don't assume, i'm merely giving my opinion based on 10 plus year of using almost half the Cam software out there. if you used those two software for a week you would know the difference. hsmworks will do the job but you definitely have much more control over what you do in mastercam. that's not an opinon, it's a known fact if you have used both.

WOW 1\2, so you are proficient in all of those that is awesome, you are the GURU of CAM.

Here is a known fact surfcam is far better than Mastercam by far, less crashes, code issues or needing to have DVD's and a crap load of vids for training, but yes you have more control to mess thing up.

In the immortal words of Yoda about HSMWorks: "em, better get, it will"

and for a numbers game I see your 10 and raise you 12 for CAM, but just not the use of 1\2 of them out there, maybe 4 ish, EZmill in the 80's, CAMX and surfcam in the 90's, surfcam and Camworks and HSMWorks in the present.

now bangin on CAM 360, DelCam for SW, so I know the differences.

Back