What's new
What's new

HSMWorks Adaptive Clearing going long way around

mountie

Aluminum
i'm using HSMWorks Xpress in SolidWorks. Need to rough out a slot (finish feature is a dovetail). Finally got it to almost do what I want after watching a YouTube video, except it's taking a loop around the outside of the part right before machining the last bit of the slot. See attached image for details. I've edited the resulting G-code to remove the extra loop, but would like to know how to avoid this in the future. Anybody have suggestions?
2D adaptive clearing.jpg

It appears as though this is a behavior that is occurring in HSMXpress 2018. I set it up in an older HSMXpress 2017 version and I'm not seeing the same behavior.

Anyways, you can eliminate the move that goes around the part by reducing the "Stay-down Level", under the "Linking" tab, to 90%.

Thanks, BugRobotics! Your suggestion to reduce "Stay-Down Level" to 90% fixed this bug. Any idea why the system would go all the way around like that with 100% stay-down?

(Your guess as to the culprit seems correct: I am using HSMXpress 2018 R4.42864 and SolidWorks 2018 x64 SP1.0)

Controlling the tool-path with sketches instead of driving the cutting area with the model geometry selections. You use a sketch to define where the tool-path can go. This technique becomes important when you want total control of the tool.

Tons of videos showing this technique in action.

Below is a pic of the model using a sketch to drive the adaptive clearing. Note that the only selection under the "Geometry" tab is the sketch under "Model". If you didn't place the sketch on the plane you want the operation to cut down to then you have to adjust the heights.

Sketch Driving Toolpath.JPG
Sketch Driving Toolpath Geometry Tab.jpg

Thanks, BugRobotics! Your suggestion to reduce "Stay-Down Level" to 90% fixed this bug. Any idea why the system would go all the way around like that with 100% stay-down?

(Your guess as to the culprit seems correct: I am using HSMXpress 2018 R4.42864 and SolidWorks 2018 x64 SP1.0)

While the behavior is odd.. Why are you using a 100% staydown? It's nearly always fastest between 30-50%

Back