What's new
What's new

HSMworks adaptive clearing question

ewlsey

Diamond
Can anyone tell me how to change the starting side for an adaptive clearing operation? I am cutting a sort of slot. I want it to start at the bigger end to maximize chip clearing. It always starts at the +Y side.

I have tried the start point features in the linking tab, but it never changes the side it starts on.

Any ideas?

Adaptive clearing issue.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to change the starting side for an adaptive clearing operation? I am cutting a sort of slot. I want it to start at the bigger end to maximize chip clearing. It always starts at the +Y side.

I have tried the start point features in the linking tab, but it never changes the side it starts on.

Any ideas?

View attachment 80125

Draw a point, then select that point.

It makes no difference.

I can pick all kinds of points and vertices on the -Y side of the model for "entry point" and it still starts at the +Y side.

The only way to get the tool path I want is to switch to conventional milling.

There must be a way.

Draw an arc that spans the y+ side of your part so it'll be closed on that end. It shouldn't effect run time much if any.

CAM programming is usually a work around puzzle.

Draw an arc that spans the y+ side of your part so it'll be closed on that end. It shouldn't effect run time much if any.

CAM programming is usually a work around puzzle.

You sound like a guy who used surfcam recently.
Plunge point just never work right for me- eazyest is to fudge the geometry a bit. ;-)

Lol, yeah we have surfscam here.

You only have to do work arounds in Surfcam on 75% of what you want to do... :crazy:

Really 75%.......................................

I only have to do only about 5% work arounds since surfcam takes SW native file in, make all my sketches for boundries, cofigurations of the parts at different states- holes-no holes-fillets-no fillets-extra material-holding tabs-clamps------you get the drift.

My work around are mainly editing colors of wireframe and 2d boundries so I can mask select if i have to regen toolpathes.

but yes the plunge point is an issue so I put them in after I have generated the the pocketing or Zlevel roughing and the put them before in the setup section

Can someone explain this a little better, dont exactly know what he means by "Draw an arc that spans the y+ side of your part so it'll be closed on that end. " Is the arc the entry point or geometry used to select chain?

Can someone explain this a little better, dont exactly know what he means by "Draw an arc that spans the y+ side of your part so it'll be closed on that end. " Is the arc the entry point or geometry used to select chain?

He's saying to draw an arc on the opposite side you want the toolpath to start at closing the slot on that side, therefore forcing a start on the open side as the "Pocket" is now closed in the softwares eyes on one side.

Here is the trick:

You draw a sketch on the floor of the "slot". You extend the sides out the small end and then connect them. I extended them .6". Then, select the floor the pocket as the "stock" in the dialog.

It really makes no difference how you close off the slot. HSM will only cut in the area defined as stock. It's actually really good at that. I know in EdgeCAM I always had to draw boundaries to keep the tool from overcutting into the rest of the part.

I can make MasterCam highspeed PeelMill cut that slot the right way without modifying the Geo :popcorn:

Cool. What about when you want to change the angle of the slot? Start over? That's how I remember MasterCAM. With HSM, I just hit 'regenerate'.

You keep your MasterCAM. I'll be fine.

Cool. What about when you want to change the angle of the slot? Start over? That's how I remember MasterCAM. With HSM, I just hit 'regenerate'.

You keep your MasterCAM. I'll be fine.

lol what?
You just regenerate in Mastercam too.

Back