What's new
What's new

HSMWorks and SolidCAM For Older Controls

thebee

Aluminum
I know I will get different answers on which is best if for nothing else as a matter of taste, but I'm so close to trying to work a deal for HSMWorks I wanted to get some perspective from someone who may be running SolidCam on a older control or even someone who has used both quite a bit. I have a Fanuc 0M-B (late 80's/early 90's) and it can only run so fast without data starvation. I know this whole thing might seem like an oxymoron trying to get the most CAM performance from an old machine not designed for the new toolpaths, but we all have to start somewhere with CNC, and this is the machine I've got as I transition from turning wheels on a manual. I've spent close to 2 weeks without cutting a chip, just pulling my hair out with each successive CAM package I was demo'ing trying to learn it to create a solid toolpath on a part that was a 50/50 mix of 2.5D and 3D. I was using that part as a baseline because if I got good results and quick programming on it I knew it would work well for most everything I do.

Then I found HSMWorks and everything changed. Compared to all the packages I tried it was the best by far when weighing toolpath, ease of learning, and ease of programming. I was able to create a solid tool path that blew away most all of them in just a couple hours of poking around with it without even needing to read a manual or watch a video. Very refreshing!!! I'm not a fan of it not having "exclude" boundaries (from what I could find), only "include" boundaries, but with the easy Check Surfaces feature it overcomes a lot of that. The simulation is one of the best and actually being able to know the exact amount of rest at any spec on the part by mousing over it is huge (I couldn't find this in SolidCam BTW, just color coding based on user defined thresholds).

This part ran very well on this old control using the adaptive roughing due to the the way uses a lot of arcs naturally (or through the use of the arc fitting settings). 65% of my roughing moves came out as arcs which is huge for a control like mine because I could run it upwards of 30-40 IPM with only very occasional jerkiness. Trying to do that point-to-point would make the machine look pretty bad.

So what's the problem...? Well, I'm greedy I guess and I know I shouldn't be at this stage, but I want to make the most of what I have and spend each minute and penny as wisely as possible. Despite all the good I noticed plenty of room for the cycle to be optimized by dynamically increasing the feedrate. I was being on the light side as it was... 1018 Steel, 1/2 Carbide 4FL EM, .500 DOC (max model height is .500), .030 stepover, 30 IPM. I'm sure I could go much more on the stepover but I'm just getting used to programmed feed/speeds instead of my manual background where I would do everything by feel. The spindle load would get close to 40%, but that might have been due to the cutter not being the greatest quality and/or the RPM not being dialed in the best. In fact, that is why I am still searching for the best solution because in theory I should be able to get close to 7 CuIn/Min MRR if I believe what I read (1 CuIn per HP), and even if it tops out at just 4HP constant, that is still 8X less MRR than I am doing at the moment. I am sure the reason probably has more to do with me, and less to do with the tool, and even less to do with the CAM... just trying to illustrate I'm working on trying to get the most from what I have and it a long learning curve doing it all at once.

Anyways, when it was cutting shallower stuff I would have loved for the stepover or feedrate go up proportionally, but it seems fairly static, so I would have a load of like 10% on the spindle knowing I could be running that part of the op WAY higher. So if it was doing 40IPM at .500 DOC/.030 Stepover, it would be nice to up to .060 stepover or 80IPM in .250 DOC, or whatever the math would be if it is not as simple an even proportion. I'm sure I would have problems at 80IPM with data starvation so the increased stepover would be more ideal I believe.

This is why SolidCam looks appealing. The iMachining has dynamic feed throughout the op to try to make the op as efficient as possible while keeping an optimal MRR throughout. My only fear is though is if my control will choke with it (poorer arc fitting/too many points, etc if it is geared towards new controls) or if the toolpaths are still "good" at lower feeds... like 50IPM and under?

I know most of you are probably thinking "Just demo SolidCam and see for yourself" and I started to but I ran out of time and patience and before I invest all the time into I want to see if I am barking up the wrong tree to begin with. To really learn the software it seems I need to really lock myself in a room for a couple days and do all the training videos and such, but I really need to be getting parts made instead. Plus, I became pretty frustrated with SolidCam pretty quickly, and even though it is more intuitive than some of the packages that make you go "WTF was the person designing this software thinking?", I was put off by the lack of a traditional manual being replaced with just the training videos and interactive PDFs available. I could never find a resource that explained all of the options and walked you through the software beginning to end like other packages. Instead it became kind of a guessing game at what strategy does what, what option does this, etc.

With all that said, do you think SolidCam can allow me to get significantly more from the machine/control than I can do with HSMWorks? It does seems like SC will have a little longer learning curve just from the large number of strategies in it and the lack a start to end resource for it (that I could find). I already feel like an old pro at HSMWorks after just a couple days despite still not knowing what all the features do or the tricks to it. But if I can reduce an op by 50% compared to HSMWorks even with my limited control then it would be worth pursuing it further.

At this point I'm not really interested in any other CAM package it is just between the two. I demo'd just about everything I could get my hands on and I believe that there are other options that could be better, but nothing else resonated with me enough in terms of toolpath generation or user interface/workflow enough to want to master it.

Not really much experience with Solidcam, we just briefly tested it prior to ultimately choosing HSMworks. One of the only things I dislike about HSMWorks is the large code some strategies produce.. their smoothing algorithm does a decent job of reducing it, but I still wind up both DNCing and having minor data starvation issues frequently. It would surprise me to find that Solidcam is much better in that respect though.

Solidcam was worse for big code, because they did not have any smoothing features that I could find to adjust. Of course you could try and get them to deal with it in the post, but it wasn't an easy to adjust feature like in HSMWorks.

As a programmer/machinist with old controls but very rigid iron I would recommend slowing your feed rate, increasing the step over and investing in good tooling like SGS Z-Carb or GARR VRX end mills (for steel). They do a great job of mitigating load while maintaining as much MRR as the slower controls are capable of. What's your machine?

I use HSMWorks on an old 95 Haas VF0 and do a lot of 2d and 3d dncing code and have very little starvation.

if you are in the Phoenix area there is a SolidCam rep here now.

also don't rule out DelCam for SW, we also us it here at ASU, the programmer loves it. and it has speeds and feeds caluclator

Last edited:
Thanks for info and suggestions all. I am investing in variable helix endmills as we speak... =) I am going to be testing more to see where the optimal step/doc/ipm are that get the best MRR with my machine. I have been referencing G-Wizard to some extent, but it is just wild because I see some people taking RPMs up on a 1/2" cutting steel to levels where I would only have maybe taken a 1/8" EM in aluminum, lol. If anyone has another good feed&speed calculator/resource that is geared towards more modern tooling and paths I would check it out also.

I know SolidCam has Arc Fitting (Smoothing), and it does it by default I believe but it is on a tiny resolution/tolerance by default and there is a spot to adjust it deeper in the strategy settings. Definitely not as front and center compared to HSMWorks. That is partly why I was thinking SC might be more for newer controls because it seems to create a lot of point-to-point code whereas HSM seemed like it was setup to be able to perform well even for older machines by trying to natively use arcs despite the arc fitting.

As far as DelCam for SW... I had considered trying it but I read it is basically FeatureCam inside of SW. I tried FeatureCam and it seemed like it would be amazing until it was time to try to cut this 2.5D/3D combo part. It was just a mess and I'm sure some of that had to do with my inexperience with it, but my initial excitement about it was quickly squashed to say the least. If I were doing all 2D/2.5D I'm sure it would show were it is stronger. But if Delcam for SW has more of the technology geared toward 3D I would give it a try.

I really don't want to totally give up on SC yet if for nothing else but how it dynamically optimizes the feedrates throughout cut/depth. That is very helpful on a lot of my parts. It is just hard to keep trying it because there is no manual and I have lots of questions and I don't want to call someone every 3 minutes I think of something else that I should be able to answer myself with a reference guide. If I had a more modern control I would have a greater incentive to fight through the learning curve. It is a shame because I can create decent tool paths with it, but it is the little things, like setting up the control, fixtures, the not so obvious options and settings, etc that would be easily explained with a manual.

I hear you on the solidcam manuals. The things I do are (a) experiments. do a save-as from inside solidcam and try things on the new version. (b) watch videos - not so much listen as watch, because people do things you can can see that they don't talk about, but which illustrate something you didn't know. (c) notes - I sometimes do indeed have to open a ticket and ask "how ..." I always save the answers.

Thanks for info and suggestions all. I am investing in variable helix endmills as we speak... =) I am going to be testing more to see where the optimal step/doc/ipm are that get the best MRR with my machine. I have been referencing G-Wizard to some extent, but it is just wild because I see some people taking RPMs up on a 1/2" cutting steel to levels where I would only have maybe taken a 1/8" EM in aluminum, lol. If anyone has another good feed&speed calculator/resource that is geared towards more modern tooling and paths I would check it out also.

I know SolidCam has Arc Fitting (Smoothing), and it does it by default I believe but it is on a tiny resolution/tolerance by default and there is a spot to adjust it deeper in the strategy settings. Definitely not as front and center compared to HSMWorks. That is partly why I was thinking SC might be more for newer controls because it seems to create a lot of point-to-point code whereas HSM seemed like it was setup to be able to perform well even for older machines by trying to natively use arcs despite the arc fitting.

As far as DelCam for SW... I had considered trying it but I read it is basically FeatureCam inside of SW. I tried FeatureCam and it seemed like it would be amazing until it was time to try to cut this 2.5D/3D combo part. It was just a mess and I'm sure some of that had to do with my inexperience with it, but my initial excitement about it was quickly squashed to say the least. If I were doing all 2D/2.5D I'm sure it would show were it is stronger. But if Delcam for SW has more of the technology geared toward 3D I would give it a try.

I really don't want to totally give up on SC yet if for nothing else but how it dynamically optimizes the feedrates throughout cut/depth. That is very helpful on a lot of my parts. It is just hard to keep trying it because there is no manual and I have lots of questions and I don't want to call someone every 3 minutes I think of something else that I should be able to answer myself with a reference guide. If I had a more modern control I would have a greater incentive to fight through the learning curve. It is a shame because I can create decent tool paths with it, but it is the little things, like setting up the control, fixtures, the not so obvious options and settings, etc that would be easily explained with a manual.

It's anecdotal, but I know numerous people who have made the switch from SC to HSM, and zero who have gone the other way.

You're missing something here I think. Featurecam/Delcam for SW is pretty strong on 3-5 axis. In fact all it's multi axis strategies use the Delcam Machining Kernel - same as Powermill.

I'll start by saying that SoildCAM can make good parts and it has good features, Imachining being one of them. Also all the programmers who are hourly love SolidCAM.

But my personal opinion is that SolidCAM is prone to crash, slow with heavy files, undocumented, cumbersome, buggy and all the programmers who are salary hate it. We actually refer to it by its true acronym...SCAM.

I have been trying to replace it for a long time and had the SCAM salesman tell me that it can run parts 50-70% faster than anything else on the market guaranteed! Then I asked whats the guarantee? All I got back was a blank stare.

Well we demoed some other software and not only did we save ~4 or more hours programming per part, reprogramed 8 parts, we also saved 2-4 hours runtime on a parts that were taking 3-6 hours to run with SCAM.

So if you ask me I'll use the analogy of a banana. HSMworks is green and not quite ready to be peeled but if it can live up to its potential it might be solid gold. Where as SCAM is past ripe with only a few good spots and the rest is garbage.

again my opinion.

All posts with HSM are free as are adjustments to current posts. They only charge for really out of the ordinary stuff and specials. I am trialling HSM and love it. As for machining on an older machine, most of the new strategies used in the newr programs lend themselves nicely to old iron. Low depth of cuts and higher feedrates don't tax the machines as much these days. I really think you will end up liking HSM in the long run.

Just my opinion,
Paul

I am using HSMworks for foundry patterns and my controller is slowish considering I am usually running around 480ipm on 3d parts cutting polyurethane tooling board or wood. I find I have to slow the feedrate a little when doing adaptive clearing and find pocket clearing for certain shapes often gives me a much smaller file. I will occasionally do a pocket clearing with a deep cut and then do a shallower cut pocket clearing with rest machining and a slightly stock amount left. This gives me some of the advantages of the adaptive with the smaller file of the pocket clearing. I find with the scallop toolpath I have to slow the feed too much so don't use it but the machine flat areas button in contour and the machine steep areas in parallel give me almost as good a solution without the huge files.

Due to the smoothing I am able to run feeds almost 30% faster than I was able to with the software I was using previously.

You're missing something here I think. Featurecam/Delcam for SW is pretty strong on 3-5 axis. In fact all it's multi axis strategies use the Delcam Machining Kernel - same as Powermill.

Featurecam and DFS don't have the full 5 axis functionality of PowerMILL, that's one of the reasons we went with HyperMILL running in SolidWorks.

Back