What's new
What's new

I have Mastercam V9 and Windows XP Pro Service pack 1 . Do they go together well?

Lock 45

Plastic
Long story short ......

I have the chance to install Mastercam V9, which is about 10 to 12 years old, onto an older 32 bit Pentium 4 computer. My operating system will be Windows XP Pro service pack 1. Do I need service pack 2 or even 3 or will service pack 1 be good enough to go with Mastercam V9?

If this idea gets blown away then I will go with sheetcam on a Dual core machine running Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Not here with any specific advice, but is there not some sort of XP-compatibility mode that would let you run the Mastercam on W7? It is apparently just as 'insecure' as XP would be, (web-wise) but it probably is as up-to-date as possible. Then you could exit out of that for other things for which you need web-proof security. If Mastercam V9 is a "phones home via web" app, then there is likely risk.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Chip

What the hell does online security have to do with anything? He didn't ask that at all.

Anyway, yes, the OP should be able to run Mastercam 9 on Win7. Probably works fine on XP as well, and frankly why NOT go with SP3? An odd question to be sure.

Looks like it's time to switch to decaf.

I mentioned it because life is generally easier if you have convenient access to the latest HASP drivers, support info/updates, forums, etc. from the machine you're using -- even if the core application is completely local.

Microsoft mentioned it in the link provided because the XP mode in W7 is apparently not as buttoned up as W7 itself. I'll leave it to you to take it up with them... Occasionally links have additional information included within.

Chip

Looks like it's time to switch to decaf.

I mentioned it because life is generally easier if you have convenient access to the latest HASP drivers, support info/updates, forums, etc. from the machine you're using -- even if the core application is completely local.

Microsoft mentioned it in the link provided because the XP mode in W7 is apparently not as buttoned up as W7 itself. I'll leave it to you to take it up with them... Occasionally links have additional information included within.

Chip

Gotcha. You answered his question with a non-answer. :rolleyes5:

To actually answer the op: at my last job we still had Mastercam v9 running on XP, although I believe it was SP3. I never used it, but one of the die designers did since he was still very familiar with its intricacies. I used X6 on the same machine (32 bit, they didn't want to upgrade the PC). I can't speak to directly using it on a Win7 machine.

I presume it used the same USB license dongle as X6 did, FWIW.

Edit: a little searching brings this thread up: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cad-cam/mastercam-9-a-204057/

No idea on the mastercam, but huge experience on windoze..
(tens of thousands of machines).

Try to avoid SP3 on XP, if possible.
Some dependencies may or may not make this (im)possible.

SP3 changes/craps lots of network stuff.

Just use a firewall/antivirus of your choice.
Try it, and then install SP3 if you really must.

Mostly, its not necessary.
The problem is usually the accessory sw, (viewers, pdf, 3d models etc) needing "marca acme" ie dot net x.xx, whatever, and then you are caught.
Its designed like this, on purpose.

For a secure system, remove the gw ip address unless you need internet.
Takes 30 secs-
Ie update whatever once, then take out the gw.
You still have local network, but no internet in or out.
Nothing can enter.

(YOU will never see the truly exotic stuff that might enter your pc.
I believe some exists- and yes, I am pretty D*** qualified on this..).

For a dedicated computer, I'm sure Master Cam v9 will run under XP, no matter which service pack. I'm still running v9 (as an aside, I stopped paying for upgrades when they stopped adding features that were useful to me) and at the moment it's running on some version of Windoze that's pre-XP, Win98, I think, but would have to check. It seems to me most, if not all, the stuff the service packs fix were related to on-line vulnerability; don't connect the machine to the internet, and there's no problem.

Dennis

Asking because I have MasterCam V9 available to me and I have a spare computer along with my copy of 32 bit XP service pack one. The computer I intend using has a mother board with a serial port so it would be easy to connect to a machine made in the 1990 to 2000 era. I will being running simple 2 1/2 D jobs on a drilling and tapping machine and that is my intent.

I was really asking if V9 would run on XP service pack one. I do not have service 2 or 3 on hand. The idea of spending money on flashy, fast, overly complicated software for such a simple job makes no sense to me. Nor does buying a hotrod computer look attractive or seem necessary for the task at hand.

Thanks to those who gave me good answers.

Back