What's new
What's new

interupted groove in featurecam

propman

Aluminum
I'm trying to mill a part that will have a piece that will be cut out of the stock, so there must be a feature that will allow a groove to be cut leaving at least 4 points that are not totally not cut thru the stock. I can't seem to find anything but I don't know what this would be called, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I know this is a common practice but I never use this software. this is for a product that I make and sell a few each year and had someone years ago that wrote the program, I had a computer crash and lost the program for this size so I'm trying to write this program. the person that i used to write the program checked out of the hotel so I can't ask him. I've looked at the program for the other size and it does not give a name to that process it just shows 2 grooves with the separation so the part doesn't fly off and destroy itself and the part. If i could get the name of that process i would probably find it somewhere in the software, but I don't seem to find it in the manual or in the geometry of the software. So the million dollar question is what is this process called?

I know this is a common practice but I never use this software. this is for a product that I make and sell a few each year and had someone years ago that wrote the program, I had a computer crash and lost the program for this size so I'm trying to write this program. the person that i used to write the program checked out of the hotel so I can't ask him. I've looked at the program for the other size and it does not give a name to that process it just shows 2 grooves with the separation so the part doesn't fly off and destroy itself and the part. If i could get the name of that process i would probably find it somewhere in the software, but I don't seem to find it in the manual or in the geometry of the software. So the million dollar question is what is this process called?

Propman
I am a Feature cam user and I don't recall a procedure for what you are asking for. It sounds like you want to leave 4 tabs to hold your part in place. My guess is you may need to unchain your feature and create a break in the desired location. Rechain open features and reselect your toolpath again. You may try searching Feature cam tips and tricks you tube. I have great tech support that helps me with those not so frequently used features. I am sure it is a simple procedure but knowing where to start sometimes is the hardest part.

Firstly make your slot or boss tool path. Then make a tool path From Feature>Toolpath

You then need to split the segments (you probably need to split each segment twice), then delete the segments you don't need. You may need to change the Z moves from rapid to feed if required, by editing the segment.

Then you can delete the original toolpath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back