What's new
What's new

Inventor 2017 assy question. How to rename parts

conceptdevelopers

Cast Iron
I received a STEP file from a company that scanned a part for us. This assembly has 9 parts to it. In the tree the are just numbered 1-9. I want to ad names to those files so when I make a print with a bill of materials the names appear in the list. I know I can add names to that list but if in the future if someone else wanted to redo the bill of materials they would have to enter the names again exactly as I did. A simple part name change could cause real problems as all this has to go through the FAA and if any of you have ever put together a repair manual you'll know just what I'm talking about.

I have enclosed a screen shot of the tree in case I explained the issue poorly

Thanx

SteveTree.JPG

after you click on the number and the box is surrounding the number you can single click one more time. It should let you rename there, or right click after you selected and select rename.

Well that worked to change them in the tree but when I made a print and added a parts list the names were not changed

Hmm, got me on that one. May have to hit up the Inventor forum for that one. Do you have a project created for it with each of the parts saved in the project? It is in the importing to the project where that is supposed to link.

yes I do. This is the first time I'm dealing with someone else's assembly. I will just name them when I make em'. Their assy. also came to me in a step file and was created in solid works, that could be part of the problem

Not sure this will help...

When I import step files and then create the .ipt, a right click on the part will bring up the opportunity to edit the iproperties - this is where most information is linked for filling in BOMs. This is current behavior for Inventor 2017; can't speak for earlier versions.

Fred

Well that did the job. I opened the part from the assembly, then went to iproperties and on the project tab there is a place for me to enter a part # and description that then appears in the parts list automatically.

Thank you very much

Back