What's new
What's new

InventorHSM: Multiple Fixture Offsets + Sorting Tools To Minimize Toolchanges

Jrill

Aluminum
Not sure what happened to my autodesk account, so I'll ask here first.

Using HSMxpress in Inventor LT. Posting code for 4 setups simultaneously. I highlight all of them and post.

The problem is that the tools (each setup uses the same tools) are not sorted efficiently - it does all 4 tools on one setup and then does all 4 on the next, etc, so I end up with 16 toolchanges instead of 4.

There's a box in the post processing window that says "Reorder to minimize tool changes" but checking or unchecking it makes no difference.

Is there a way to sort tools across multiple setups when it posts?

Never figured this out personally, but I typically rely on large fixtures with a single work coordinate for quantities of parts with HSM. Have tried it before and that feature was broken, it may have been fixed by now. Current dev version of HSM is 4.1.

best solution I find for features which may not be functioning as intended is to use the "send feedback" button in the CAM help dropdown, thereby getting in touch directly with their team (they usually contact within a day and make a good effort to resolve the issue).

Thanks.

I have the free version of HSM (HSMxpress) - do you know (or know of a page) how to update it? Or if it updates at all. Or if I need to uninstall it and download the new one or something.

IIRC this is currently not working properly in Inventor HSM, and only marginally in HSMWorks. If you're curious about the current version (and whether or not you have it) go here: Autodesk Inventor HSM Express - Autodesk CAM Solutions

Edit: actually I just tested a Spot and Drill operation in Inventor HSM Pro with four duplicated setups and it did indeed order them *almost* appropriately (G54-57 by tool, not operation, although the first drill op was on G57 and then back to G54). What post processor are you using? This was using the current generic Haas post processor.

IIRC this is currently not working properly in Inventor HSM, and only marginally in HSMWorks. If you're curious about the current version (and whether or not you have it) go here: Autodesk Inventor HSM Express - Autodesk CAM Solutions

Edit: actually I just tested a Spot and Drill operation in Inventor HSM Pro with four duplicated setups and it did indeed order them *almost* appropriately (G54-57 by tool, not operation, although the first drill op was on G57 and then back to G54). What post processor are you using? This was using the current generic Haas post processor.

I use the pro version too at PT job and it appears to work correctly. We are using the stock centroid post. I would guess either it is not supported with the free version, or maybe it is post related?

I am indeed not using the latest version, thanks for that link. So I will start using that instead (what is the best way to update?).

I am using the generic Haas and Fanuc posts, with a few changes. I just tried the centroid post which I have never changed and it didn't work either.

I am indeed not using the latest version, thanks for that link. So I will start using that instead (what is the best way to update?).

I am using the generic Haas and Fanuc posts, with a few changes. I just tried the centroid post which I have never changed and it didn't work either.

Best way to update? You should be able to download the installer and run it.

If your modified posts are in the generic Posts directory, move them out into another folder. As the posts are under regular development they will get overwritten if you leave them. I would also recommend updating the changes in your old posts in the new versions as there may have been optimizations since the previous version. I'd be glad to help with this if you need it. I do this regularly with our Haas post as they are adding new features fairly commonly (and haven't added some things that they need, like IJK support in drilling operations).

It should be noted that the free versions only get updated with official releases, they will not see incremental advancements like the paid versions with development updates, so there may be issues that have been resolved that you won't see yet. I don't know if this is the case with WCS ordering.

I updated to the newest version - 4.0.0.032 - and the problem persists. Like adaptive rest milling, maybe it's just a feature I need to upgrade for...

I updated to the newest version - 4.0.0.032 - and the problem persists. Like adaptive rest milling, maybe it's just a feature I need to upgrade for...

No, this shouldn't be necessary. However it may have been fixed in a development release in which case you may have to wait until the next official release to see it in Express. If you want I can PM you my email and I can try a test of your part on the latest development version. Even a dummy setup that you know fails on yours would do fine to check this.

Honestly I'd just contact them and find out from the source. If it's not working (or has been fixed recently) they will know.

Back