What's new
What's new

Just some chat about trying Fusion 360

shamanj

Hot Rolled
We all know our time is valuable, so maybe this will help others taking a look at the cad/cam market.
So I have spent the last week learning fusion 360. It's free for startups (earning less then 100K per year) or education, so you loose nothing for having a go. I spent years on featurecam, but dabbled with many other cam packages on evaluations, many of which went quickly in the bin.
Fusion however, is very interesting, mainly because they are listening to their users on the forum! Rather than remaining silent on their forums (really completely inactive and don't give a shit, or making excuses, fusion seem to be really into their users.)
Very interesting.

So here's what I found.
The CAD aspect, I don't like... not as much as Spaceclaim anyway. Yes, I think I'm probably massively biased but spaceclaim is just awesome... anyway...

Fusions CAD isn't bad, in fact I think it's much nicer then solidworks, however doing simple operation like extruding geometries that aren't standard is very difficult. Such as extruding text off a wall of a cylinder.
-I've seen videos of workflows and sit there shaking my head. I think with time it will improve, and have already implemented "Sculpting" but I worry that it wont travel in the right direction and will be another scenario of 50 billion toolbars all doing random shit that spaceclaim does with a single click. The advantage is Fusion are listening to their users on the forums! For now its not too hard to find a work around, and the "Cloud" idea hasn't hassled me at all, you can still save a part directly to your drive, so not being connected to the cloud isn't a massive issue.

The best way to describe it it's a bit of an "Inbetween" of Solidworks and Spaceclaim in CAD Workflow. I have used it to create and machine my first test part, and the geometry is precise, so no complaints, but I can imagine doing a complex shape would be a nightmare, but i'm yet to be challenged with one yet... I may try a small wing shape with compound curves and see how I go.

Importing CAD models you've done on other systems is easy, and work just fine. I've tried IGES/Parasolid etc with no problems.

So anyway...

CAM.

This, is very different. I really enjoy the CAM aspect of Fusion. It's nice, clean, and easy to navigate.
The geometry selection is easy and fairly intuitive considering I haven't use HSM works ever. I've used Featurecam almost exclusively but played with almost every other cam package in existence. One thing I noticed that it does well.

The good.
-Tabs - omg finally TABS! Click and place, fantastic!
-Navigation and visuals. - They look great, toolpaths are really easy to see and nicely coloured.
-Setting tops and bottoms of workpiece, entry/ leads etc are all really nice n easy.
-Geometry selection - Very nice! Easy to pick n choose.
-Tool paths are nice, adaptive (HSM) clearing and pocketing work very, very well.

What it sucks at -
-The tool manager, its god damn terrible. Can't make form tools yet. making your own crib is like threading an M8 bolt into your pee hole.
-Feeds and speeds (atleast for me) - don't know about others) are all set at 1000mm/min, changing RPM doesn't effect tool load or feed. Looks like you need to manually set it. (Featurecam you just tell the material, if you change RPM or speed it will change the other to maintain SFM or chip load. It also has in built specifications for each material... Next point)
-No material selection - I think this is partly to do with the point above, it doesn't know what your cutting.
-No 4/5 axis yet. Its coming.
-Can't engrave, now this is retarded, you can't even project a single line font onto it. They know its an issue and are working on it.
-Posts- I have no idea wtf I'm looking at if I need to edit the post, Featurecams post editor was excellent, fusion I have no idea what i'm seeing so I'll have to come back to it. - It seems it wants to put in an M6 call after every operation even if the same tool is in use... grrr.

All in all, considering its free its damn amazing. Is it the best thing out there, hell no, but it will get you going, and is totally useful.
I went back and read development threads and people at fusion seem to be making advancements very quickly. If you were considering trying it, do it.
If you have money to burn you'll never regret spaceclaim, but it doesn't have in built CAM. One day i'm sure it will, but it seems to be heading the way of assisting with ANSYS and other CFD/FEA suits. Who knows, but Fusion is definitely worth the small time investment.
SJ.

I prefer the post in Fuision/InventorHSM/HSMWorks to a post editor. It is pure javascript and very easy to edit once you get the hang of it and pretty powerful.

As for the tool library, the OSX version of Fusion has a newer tool library that has more of the features you are speaking of and it should be in the windows version soon.

Completely agree on engraving. 4/5 axis coming. Turning probably in the near future. There are already videos of turning on Autodesk CAM youtube channel. Plasma/Waterjet I am told will be in preview mode in the next release also.

I've been reading up on the post editor and starting to understand it a little better, I suck at programming in general but I'll get it sorted in time.
I am really enjoying the cam! Its great to see a company trying to give a product that everyone can use till they are up n making money, and probably keeping the customer for life. Pretty cool.

been thinking about giving it a try for my home shop. i do not have a good internet connection, less than 768k,
you think it work?
is there a post for dynapath delta 20.
checked there sight out didn't really find an answer to my questions

I prefer the post in Fuision/InventorHSM/HSMWorks to a post editor. It is pure javascript and very easy to edit once you get the hang of it and pretty powerful.

As for the tool library, the OSX version of Fusion has a newer tool library that has more of the features you are speaking of and it should be in the windows version soon.

Completely agree on engraving. 4/5 axis coming. Turning probably in the near future. There are already videos of turning on Autodesk CAM youtube channel. Plasma/Waterjet I am told will be in preview mode in the next release also.

Turning is out I believe autodesk brought delcam also

I see DynaPath Delta "dynapath.cps" among the choices of posts listed when I do the post operation in Fusion 360. I have no idea whether the post is any good. The Deckel Dialog 4 post they supplied required a lot of modification. They could not have tested it successfully based on what I saw.

been thinking about giving it a try for my home shop. i do not have a good internet connection, less than 768k,
you think it work?

It costs nothing to try it, download it and give it a go. Aussie internet is world class crud compared to everywhere else so 768 should work without too many issues. I also see a dynapath in the box. I can do a few circles and a box in a plate and send it to you for review.

you think it work?

Here is a picture of a 100x100x25 block with some basic shapes and different types of pockets, face and an outside contour. WCS is bottom left.
The dynapath post output is here so you can take a look at the order of operations etc.

madcunt.jpg
View attachment Dynapath.zip

Turning is out I believe autodesk brought delcam also
Turning is not released for fusion yet. I have fusion ultimate and it is not going to make it even in the July release I was told. I have seen videos of it in a development version.

I have also use their turning in HSMWorks and Inventor HSM. The one in Inventor will be what is put in fusion.

My first actual part using Fusion 360 CAM exclusively.
CBR250 RR top triple for a guy I know.

The tolerances are fine, the inner bores are great, but I screwed up and the internal cutaways I didn't have any leave allowance so the 6mm tool chattered away on the finish surface. Next time I'll give it plenty of leave and give it a nice smooth finish.

Anyway, The CAM was bang on and the customer is very happy.
now to anodize hot pink... joking :D

Still don't like the CAD aspect of it, but the CAM is really nice.
In the essence of honesty I've shown my little cock up :)
Sorry about the shit photos my phone is terrible. It looks real nice in real life lol.

IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg

I just downloaded this a few days ago and have worked with it quite successfully in the CAD as well as some stuff in CAM. I have not really set up a tool crib yet but will work on it soon. I am having a problem with figuring out how to do a curved slot on one of my parts. Any suggestions for doing that?

I just downloaded this a few days ago and have worked with it quite successfully in the CAD as well as some stuff in CAM. I have not really set up a tool crib yet but will work on it soon. I am having a problem with figuring out how to do a curved slot on one of my parts. Any suggestions for doing that?

Have you tried the Trace function? Slot I find funky. It's not all that intuitive. Can you post the file or I think we can collaborate using fusion and I can take a look? Even a picture would help.

To cut the pinch relief for the staunchens on this I used a trace, not a slot and a 3mm deep cutting end mill. Slot I couldn't make follow the line I drew down the middle.

if you use trace, you set the bottom distance and the step downs to, its ass backwards but the results are good.

Better photo. nice tight bores but the internal chatter is ghastly. Still wasn't a bad first fusion 360 test :) Those slots that pinch the forks I did with a trace BKBark. Give that a try. I use the slot function for the chamfer I think.
IMG_1770.jpg

yesterday couldn't upload anything, tried several times through out the day. done the clear cache thing, didn't help. today seems to work fine. been playing with it at work and have good internet, so not sure what thats about.
i mostly work with step files sent from customers to be machined, little if any of our own designs.
any of you have issues with the uploading or program being slugish

Have you tried the Trace function? Slot I find funky. It's not all that intuitive. Can you post the file or I think we can collaborate using fusion and I can take a look? Even a picture would help.

To cut the pinch relief for the staunchens on this I used a trace, not a slot and a 3mm deep cutting end mill. Slot I couldn't make follow the line I drew down the middle.

if you use trace, you set the bottom distance and the step downs to, its ass backwards but the results are good.

Thanks for the ideas to try! It was something I was just messing around with to try and get used to the functions of the program not really a specific part really. I will give trace a try like you suggested and see what I can figure out thanks again.

Thanks for the ideas to try! It was something I was just messing around with to try and get used to the functions of the program not really a specific part really. I will give trace a try like you suggested and see what I can figure out thanks again.

I use slot all the time and find it pretty useful.

Here is a quick video of how I use it. May be other methods,but this works for me.

http://autode.sk/1BmwNFu

Back