Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

do what i'd do, buy even older... from 2014. 4th Generation Intel "Core", and Nvidea was on Maxwell back then with GTX 7xx.

Your corresponding QUADRO at K3100m is a match for the m2000m that is in this laptop. Honestly? what version mastercam are you talking about?

These Dell Precision M6800 are selling for around $400 last I saw. They are institutional type pulls, sometimes they pull out the RAM as well as the hard drive. But that's good, you get to choose your own and install a brand new matched pair & SSD.

$160 maybe for 32gb of RAM, $140 for a 2.5" SSD.

The panel is 1920 x 1080 which is approaching usable for screen resolution. But you will also be able to drive big 2560 and maybe 3000p monitors.

and when it comes to the power adapter, you'll have to spec it out and buy something reputable, and it might be as much as $150

Dell Precision M68 Laptop Intel i7-48 4GB NVIDIA K31M Boots Bios Webcam | eBay
    Last edited by apestate; 10-25-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: cos

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nickvivona, Lenovo Ideapad Y7-15-8NW1US - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews
    that seems to match the product here: Lenovo IdeaPad Y7 8NVQ9US Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 67HQ 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB PCIE SSD GeForce GTX 96M 4 GB 15.6" FHD Windows 1 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

and don't worry, these deals come along weekly.

I realized the ebay machine vs. newegg deal are the same $750 if you add up parts. the late 2014 dell precision offering better quality vs. last year's lenovo y700, offering newer, unused parts, and less risk of buying the wrong parts to upgrade, etc.

getting closer to $1000 is more difficult because of the timing. 5th gen is scarce right now. I find poor listings for i7-5700.

Here's last year's zBook with a smattering of decent specs for $1100, make offer: HP Zbook 17 G3 | eBay

or back to 4th gen but high end Quadro k5100m: Dell Precision M68 -- 491MQ (2.9GHz) - 16GB Ram - 5GB HDD -- K51M Blu-ray | eBay
    Last edited by apestate; 10-25-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: links

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickvivona View Post
    Hello guys ,thank you so much for taking your time and helping me with this. I do understand that you get what you paid off but at the end of the day we are all machinists and in my case i can't afford a $3000 laptop. We have examples like refurbished lenovo for $500 and dell precision for $4000 so its hard to decide to be honest. Like i said i have a budget witch i can extend a little more. I can't have a desktop because i need it to take it to work or when i do some courses (auto cad/mastercam).Please let me know if I'm wrong but all of you own $3000 laptops? I'm an employee not the owner of the machine shop. I wish my shop could provided me with this but guess what? they don't! so I'm putting my own money to make my job
    If you're a consultant, then by all means you should be buying your own computer, but then you'd be paid more for it. If you're an employee that's the employers responsibility. I have a company owned $3000 workstation and a company owned $4000 laptop. The workstation is much, much faster, but I can take the laptop home. Your employer making you buy your own computer to work on is equivalent to making you buy your own software and your own machines to make parts on. Your boss is cheating you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are running Gibbs cam on an old workstation , they dont want to invest on new machinery or software! so i want to invest in me and in my future so thats why im trying to get my own laptop with mastercam/solid works/auto cad.
    But again thanks for the help i really appreciate you guys taking your time

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickvivona View Post
    Please let me know if I'm wrong but all of you own $3000 laptops?
    We don't use laptop, more or less mobile workstations instead. Will do cad/cam/cae with greater cores & gpu compatibility/reliability. They embedded far superior components than traditional low cost laptops also, although fairly heavy on the down side (not travel friendly, beware).

Up to today we've been satisfied with the Zbook G2 and don't feel the need to upgrade for anything available today... in the >$3000 range anyway lolll. Works perfectly fine for us as-is (multicores, K2100 gpu, 24G Ram)

Luck on you, you can get them 75% cheaper today! See

HP Zbook 15 G2 i7-481MQ NVIDIA K11m 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 192x18 FHD Warranty | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am currently on an Intel NUC Core i7 which is a pretty powerful little machine. Its a desktop and $900. It just cant handle the more intensive stuff like surfacing and multiaxis which I am getting into now.

The problem is that Mastercam is considered "power use" as well as most modeling packages.

This is why I am upgrading to an HPZ440 which is $2800, has NVIDIA dedicated graphics and a hell of a lot of processing power. The difference is night and day when dealing with surfaces.

CNC programming is an expensive proposition and you must cough up.

If you are limited to $1K, a well kept used machine is the only way to go IMO

Cheers