What's new
What's new

LinuxCNC

metalbiker

Plastic
I'm starting to test out a Linux CAD/CAM operating system called LinuxCNC from linuxcnc.org. I've been looking for a Linux alternative to Mastercam and all the other CAD/CAM software packages because I personally use Ubuntu linux and I'm all about open source software.Will this package have as much to offer as Mastercam? Or Solidworks? Or GibbsCAM? only time will tell.

There are LinuxCNC boards were you can converse with experience users.

Linux CNC can do everything, but you need to be up for it!

Will this package have as much to offer as Mastercam? Or Solidworks? Or GibbsCAM? only time will tell.
No, and it never will. Loonix software is useless. It gets to where it is almost basically functional, then the children playing with their little woodies have to change the toolkit or refactor it or remove cruft (that actually made the program cross-platform) or reinvent a wheel that was done better fifty years ago.

The principle is great, the execution abominable.

I'm starting to test out a Linux CAD/CAM operating system called LinuxCNC from linuxcnc.org. I've been looking for a Linux alternative to Mastercam and all the other CAD/CAM software packages because I personally use Ubuntu linux and I'm all about open source software.Will this package have as much to offer as Mastercam? Or Solidworks? Or GibbsCAM? only time will tell.

I think you may be confused. LinuxCNC is a hardware controller. Not a CAD/CAM system. So trying to compare it to MasterCAM ( or any others ) is like comparing Haas or Doosan to MaterCAM. Apples and Oranges.

Now, as a controller it is fairly very powerful and very good. Probably not what you are looking for though if you are trying to compare it to CAD or CAM packages.

I think you may be confused. LinuxCNC is a hardware controller. Not a CAD/CAM system.
There are several semi-cadcam programs for Loonix also, ZK. None of them are worth a shit tho.

I say "semi" because the children writing code saw a cnc machine once, but never actually ran one.

There are LinuxCNC boards were you can converse with experience users.

Linux CNC can do everything, but you need to be up for it!

Oh I'm definitely up for it. Nothing scares me away from trying something out. I've been pouring over their website, soaking up all I can.

Since I'm pretty well versed in several distributions of Linux, I feel pretty confident that I can learn it pretty quick.

stemming from Unix, an industry powerhouse, with kernel changes made by linus linvaldt, and 26 years of NO virus or hacking attacks since it comes with its very own anti-virus/malware protection and our community is several thousand volunteers deep to concieve, program, test and launch new editions and new software, i'd say it's NOT useless. Windows pulled from unix/Linux and MacOS is actually a linux derivative only configured by Apple for a certain look and maintained by Apple, only.

it's actually easier to program for linux than windows and macos since it's open source and it's encouraged for people to program for it.

so, let's start over here. there's no reason for a flaming war here on a machining forum. i didn't come here to do so. i merely am excited to test and put into use a linux controller and cad/cam package for the above reasons mentioned. having a tongue as sharp as endmills and drill bits aren't going to work in a machining environment.

this is a professional setting and i'll maintain that. i've got knowledge to pass along to someone who might want to know it and i'm here to gain MORE knowledge to help me be even better at my job.

So, i'm not going to worry about this disruption. There's always someone willing to jump in and say something negative about a new approach. i never said linuxcnc was better than any windows based software but i want to find something that compares to it to have an additional option that actually costs NOTHING to have like mastercam or whatever.

and is actually safe from viruses, malware and hacking.

librecad i have used for 2d drawing and you can convert shape to basic gcode but you will need to edit it especially for 3rd axis or Z depth
you not going to get much for free. but librecad is often easier to draw then pick spots where lines meet to get dimensions. if can do complicated math , hard to describe. angled lines tangent to arc etc it can be complicated math but easy to draw to find dimensions

stemming from Unix, an industry powerhouse, with kernel changes made by linus linvaldt, and 26 years of NO virus or hacking attacks since it comes with its very own anti-virus/malware protection and our community is several thousand volunteers deep to concieve, program, test and launch new editions and new software, i'd say it's NOT useless. Windows pulled from unix/Linux and MacOS is actually a linux derivative only configured by Apple for a certain look and maintained by Apple, only.

it's actually easier to program for linux than windows and macos since it's open source and it's encouraged for people to program for it.

so, let's start over here. there's no reason for a flaming war here on a machining forum. i didn't come here to do so. i merely am excited to test and put into use a linux controller and cad/cam package for the above reasons mentioned. having a tongue as sharp as endmills and drill bits aren't going to work in a machining environment.

this is a professional setting and i'll maintain that. i've got knowledge to pass along to someone who might want to know it and i'm here to gain MORE knowledge to help me be even better at my job.

So, i'm not going to worry about this disruption. There's always someone willing to jump in and say something negative about a new approach. i never said linuxcnc was better than any windows based software but i want to find something that compares to it to have an additional option that actually costs NOTHING to have like mastercam or whatever.

and is actually safe from viruses, malware and hacking.

Whaaaa????? I don't see anything like that. ( ? ) :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

The CAD/CAM part is going to be tough if you want to stay 'nix. In fact, if you are already comparing to MasterCAM and others, while insisting upon "free", then you've left the realm of realistic expectations already.

The best you can hope for is Seimens NX, which will run natively in 'nix. Still, with your writing, it is not really clear that you need LinuxCNC at all. Like I wrote - it is a controller. Not CAD/CAM.

Now, if you want "free", then go download Fusion360 and play until your heart's content. Maybe you can clarify exactly what you need and want.

Oh I'm definitely up for it. Nothing scares me away from trying something out. I've been pouring over their website, soaking up all I can.

Since I'm pretty well versed in several distributions of Linux, I feel pretty confident that I can learn it pretty quick.

Well, you are experiencing a level of computing that others will never will. They will continue to fight their windows box for the rest of their days.

I have used wine to install and run some open source windows programs with pretty good success. Been using Linux for years on one dual boot system. Set it up that way in case I needed a windows environment. No registry bullshit, strange disk activity during boot or shutdown, no IE security patches, none of that stuff. Shutdowns take from 10 to 20 seconds, not minutes or just hanging forever.

There are so many choices with open source I don't use windows except if I go to a class which requires a windows laptop.

This couldn't have more inaccuracies piled in if you tried.

Linux is a POSIX operating system similar to UNIX. It consists of the kernel written by Linus _Torvalds_, and GNU utilities, written by loads of people.

Linux systems have been hacked, happens all the time. There are also viruses that target Linux, but since it's not as common a desktop platform it's not the primary target of the bad guys.

I'm not aware of any distribution of Linux that comes with any antivirus or antimalware software, but there might be one. Most Linux distros do not come with anything like that.

Windows did take some ideas from Unix, probably as much as Linux took from Windows. But that's where it stops. MacOS is based on the Mach micro kernel, has nothing to do with Linux. MacOS and Windows systems sometimes use some of the open source utilities or software that come with Linux distros as well.

All that being said, LinuxCNC is pretty awesome. It works better than most controls you'd bother to replace, but it does require work. Things like tool changers and rigid tapping are challenging to get working since most people using LinuxCNC are not using machines with those features.

If your happy with just 2d Q cad is not bad and whilst its not free, its pricing is so damn low it nearly is, like less than more than a few of the leading brands charge for monthly rentals!

If i can help it i personally will never run another windows PC here. So far i have been linux ubuntu and debian for over 8+ years. Still can not get over the number of people that pay for Microsoft office when libre office is free and so damn compatable.

Ex anilam controlled Bridgeport here has ran linux cnc for the better part of 8 years now and the new gang tooled lathe (assuming i ever get quiet enough to finish it) is going to also be linux cnc, yeah like all retrofits, 99% of how good they are is all down to what you put in effort wise.

This couldn't have more inaccuracies piled in if you tried.

Linux is a POSIX operating system similar to UNIX. It consists of the kernel written by Linus _Torvalds_, and GNU utilities, written by loads of people.

Linux systems have been hacked, happens all the time. There are also viruses that target Linux, but since it's not as common a desktop platform it's not the primary target of the bad guys.

I'm not aware of any distribution of Linux that comes with any antivirus or antimalware software, but there might be one. Most Linux distros do not come with anything like that.

Windows did take some ideas from Unix, probably as much as Linux took from Windows. But that's where it stops. MacOS is based on the Mach micro kernel, has nothing to do with Linux. MacOS and Windows systems sometimes use some of the open source utilities or software that come with Linux distros as well.

All that being said, LinuxCNC is pretty awesome. It works better than most controls you'd bother to replace, but it does require work. Things like tool changers and rigid tapping are challenging to get working since most people using LinuxCNC are not using machines with those features.

Fake Information:

Linux was a project based on the book "The Design of the Unix Operating System" Bach. Linux took from Windows? Wrong. Windows took from Apple which took from the Xerox GUI? Right

A kernel written by Torvalds? It has changed so much over the years that he can only get credit for the original idea, which was a ripoff of Unix.

Not aware of any distribution that comes with any antivirus software. Because that is not an issue. If you use Firefox, the addons are all you need.

GNU utilities written by loads of other people? Maybe you are not aware of OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and other Unix like OS's that have been using GNU utility programs that were not specific to Linux.

If you are aware of what you are doing then a virus has little chance of getting installed in your system. If you use Linux then I heard that rkhunter is something you can use for scanning.

Fake Information:

Linux was a project based on the book "The Design of the Unix Operating System" Bach.

OK?

Linux took from Windows? Wrong.

I said "took some ideas" like the FAT32 filesystem, owned by Microsoft, for example.

Windows took from Apple which took from the Xerox GUI? Right

They both took from Xerox PARC, yes. I'm not sure what your point is.

A kernel written by Torvalds? It has changed so much over the years that he can only get credit for the original idea, which was a ripoff of Unix.

You're clueless. He's been the lead maintainer for it's entire existence. To short change him because other people work on it as well is silly. It's hard to say it's a ripoff of UNIX. It's just as different from every other UNIX as they are from each other.

Not aware of any distribution that comes with any antivirus software. Because that is not an issue. If you use Firefox, the addons are all you need.

Maybe if you only use a web browser it's pretty secure, but in that case so are Windows and OSX. If you actually use your computer to run other software though, there are plenty of attack vectors for Linux. Most Linux machines are not desktop machines, they run some other software to make them useful. However I was responding to the other guy who said it included anti-virus and anti-malware software, which it generally does not.

GNU utilities written by loads of other people? Maybe you are not aware of OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and other Unix like OSes that have been using GNU utility programs that were not specific to Linux.

I can't even figure out your point here. I said GNU software was written by many other people. Yes some of them were associated with all sorts of other OSes. What's your point?

If you are aware of what you are doing then a virus has little chance of getting installed in your system. If you use Linux then I heard that rkhunter is something you can use for scanning.

Famous last words. Sure, there's little chance if you're just running a web browser, just like every other OS. Android uses the Linux kernel and it's constantly being patched for exploits. Again, I'm not sure what point you're making, I didn't say you couldn't GET antivirus software, just that it doesn't come with any distro I'm aware of, which is what I was saying to the other guy.

OK?

I said "took some ideas" like the FAT32 filesystem, owned by Microsoft, for example.

They both took from Xerox PARC, yes. I'm not sure what your point is.

You're clueless. He's been the lead maintainer for it's entire existence. To short change him because other people work on it as well is silly. It's hard to say it's a ripoff of UNIX. It's just as different from every other UNIX as they are from each other.

Maybe if you only use a web browser it's pretty secure, but in that case so are Windows and OSX. If you actually use your computer to run other software though, there are plenty of attack vectors for Linux. Most Linux machines are not desktop machines, they run some other software to make them useful. However I was responding to the other guy who said it included anti-virus and anti-malware software, which it generally does not.

I can't even figure out your point here. I said GNU software was written by many other people. Yes some of them were associated with all sorts of other OSes. What's your point?

Famous last words. Sure, there's little chance if you're just running a web browser, just like every other OS. Android uses the Linux kernel and it's constantly being patched for exploits. Again, I'm not sure what point you're making, I didn't say you couldn't GET antivirus software, just that it doesn't come with any distro I'm aware of, which is what I was saying to the other guy.

You have any experience working on the Unix or Linux Kernel?
Torvalds did the whole thing based on a text book describing the internals of the Unix operating system. Read the book ever?
Ever seen or met the guy? Or know anybody who talked with him at a trade show?

He does approve some changes yes, but besides that point you are clueless.

You have any experience working on the Unix or Linux Kernel?
Torvalds did the whole thing based on a text book describing the internals of the Unix operating system. Read the book ever?

You are clueless.

Yes, I've been working with it since 1996. Worked with AIX, and IRIX until about 1999 when it became obvious the old Unixes were done for. I was senior software architect at a large internet company during the boom, exclusively Linux. I then went on to found a company that sold Linux based hardware appliances. You?

Well, damn I'm confused.
First you're pouring over the website which suggests you must be a liquid, then you're soaking up all you can, which then suggests you must be a sponge...
Make up your mind what matter you are.

librecad i have used for 2d drawing and you can convert shape to basic gcode but you will need to edit it especially for 3rd axis or Z depth
you not going to get much for free. but librecad is often easier to draw then pick spots where lines meet to get dimensions. if can do complicated math , hard to describe. angled lines tangent to arc etc it can be complicated math but easy to draw to find dimensions

Your post would come across as more credible if you actually knew the correct name of the software. I assume your referring to ALIBRE cad/cam...

I have a CS degree so I am very familiar with Linux. Your post is very confused, LinuxCNC is not a CAD/CAM package.

LinuxCNC is a very good piece of software but there is no viable open source CAM, and CAD is extremely poorly represented as well.

Think GIMP vs Photoshop, except the gap is about 50 times wider. You might find the occasional hobbyist that claims the open source version is usable, but in practice it won't do much more than following a path or very basic pocketing. Keep in mind that since there is a hardware aspect to CNC mistakes cost real money.

Well, damn I'm confused.
First you're pouring over the website which suggests you must be a liquid, then you're soaking up all you can, which then suggests you must be a sponge...
Make up your mind what matter you are.

Your post would come across as more credible if you actually knew the correct name of the software. I assume your referring to ALIBRE cad/cam...

librecad i have used for many many years
Home of LibreCAD, 2D-CAD
similar to Qcad but open source and of course there are converters of dxf files to gcode as i said and i have used again for many many years. 12 years i guess using qcad and later librecad
i have use freecad too but that has no easy cad to cam converter although they are working on it. that is the goal of the project
F-engrave i have used for engraving letters and numbers

Back