What's new
What's new

Looking for CAD files for American Standard Aluminum I-Beams

Chris Attebery

Cast Iron
Hello,

I'm trying to find a profile drawing in CAD format for a 4" x .190" American Standard Aluminum I-Beam. I've found a few drawings but they are missing some dimensions like the slope of the flange.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks,

Chris

Grabcad might have something like that.
Also McMaster-Carr has cad files on most if not all of their products. I'm not sure if they sell I-Beams though.

Those were both really good ideas. I found a couple files on Grabcad but they were the wrong size. McMaster also has a few sizes but not the one I need.

Thanks for the leads though.

Grabcad might have something like that.
Also McMaster-Carr has cad files on most if not all of their products. I'm not sure if they sell I-Beams though.

View attachment 214002
I need more detail on the flange. I'm going to be using the I beam as raw stock for a fin that will mate up to a piece of round tubing.

I gave up and ordered the stock. Once it arrives I'll measure it and then design the part to fit within the stock.

I made this in SW, using the chart.

there is plenty of info on the chart, since it gives the weight per foot all I did was adjust the height of the thickest part till I got the correct weight.

see pics.

if you want the model IM me.

ibeam 6061 T6.jpgibeam 6061 T6 - chart.JPG ibeam 6061 T6-2.JPG

Len i wish i could give you 100 like's
this shows you what you can do if you get good with CAD/CAM software.BTW i like my SW2017
Keep on kilicking!

Len i wish i could give you 100 like's
this shows you what you can do if you get good with CAD/CAM software.BTW i like my SW2017
Keep on kilicking!

well I will add 99 comments so you can :D!

Yes having a good CAD for designing and making fixtures saves a shitload of time and troubles.

A good CAM does not always have a good CAD side to it, that is why the integrated CAM inside of a solid modeler is the way to go.

One thing nice about SW is if you have a CAM software that is part of the CAM partners you can get SW PDO or PDA at a discounted cost thru the CAM dealer.

note: PDO = part design only (no assemblies or drawings), PDA = parts and assemblies only no drawings.

Lew Merrick has created entire families of structural components, fasteners and other mechanical components for Alibre, on the odd chance that you use that CAD software.

Back