Looking for CAD files for American Standard Aluminum I-Beams
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gilroy, CA, USA
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default Looking for CAD files for American Standard Aluminum I-Beams

    Hello,

    I'm trying to find a profile drawing in CAD format for a 4" x .190" American Standard Aluminum I-Beam. I've found a few drawings but they are missing some dimensions like the slope of the flange.

    Can any of you help me?

    Thanks,


    Chris

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2807
    Likes (Received)
    1996

    Default

    Grabcad might have something like that.
    Also McMaster-Carr has cad files on most if not all of their products. I'm not sure if they sell I-Beams though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gilroy, CA, USA
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Those were both really good ideas. I found a couple files on Grabcad but they were the wrong size. McMaster also has a few sizes but not the one I need.

    Thanks for the leads though.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Grabcad might have something like that.
    Also McMaster-Carr has cad files on most if not all of their products. I'm not sure if they sell I-Beams though.

  4. Likes Mtndew liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Does this have what you need? http://www.alascop.com/pdf/al/6061_ibeam.pdf

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gilroy, CA, USA
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    I need more detail on the flange. I'm going to be using the I beam as raw stock for a fin that will mate up to a piece of round tubing.

    I gave up and ordered the stock. Once it arrives I'll measure it and then design the part to fit within the stock.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    Does this have what you need? http://www.alascop.com/pdf/al/6061_ibeam.pdf

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    118

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    tempe,arizona,usa
    Posts
    1,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    127
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Attachment 214002
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Attebery View Post
    I need more detail on the flange. I'm going to be using the I beam as raw stock for a fin that will mate up to a piece of round tubing.

    I gave up and ordered the stock. Once it arrives I'll measure it and then design the part to fit within the stock.
    I made this in SW, using the chart.

    there is plenty of info on the chart, since it gives the weight per foot all I did was adjust the height of the thickest part till I got the correct weight.

    see pics.

    if you want the model IM me.

    ibeam-6061-t6.jpgibeam-6061-t6-chart.jpg ibeam-6061-t6-2.jpg

  9. Likes Kaszub, Chris Attebery liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Default

    Len i wish i could give you 100 like's
    this shows you what you can do if you get good with CAD/CAM software.BTW i like my SW2017
    Keep on kilicking!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    tempe,arizona,usa
    Posts
    1,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    127
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaszub View Post
    Len i wish i could give you 100 like's
    this shows you what you can do if you get good with CAD/CAM software.BTW i like my SW2017
    Keep on kilicking!
    well I will add 99 comments so you can !

    Yes having a good CAD for designing and making fixtures saves a shitload of time and troubles.

    A good CAM does not always have a good CAD side to it, that is why the integrated CAM inside of a solid modeler is the way to go.

    One thing nice about SW is if you have a CAM software that is part of the CAM partners you can get SW PDO or PDA at a discounted cost thru the CAM dealer.

    note: PDO = part design only (no assemblies or drawings), PDA = parts and assemblies only no drawings.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Batavia, IL USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    53

    Default

    Lew Merrick has created entire families of structural components, fasteners and other mechanical components for Alibre, on the odd chance that you use that CAD software.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gilroy, CA, USA
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    len_1962 was kind enough to send me his model. I ordered some so I'll have the real thing to work with soon.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    tempe,arizona,usa
    Posts
    1,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    127
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Attebery View Post
    len_1962 was kind enough to send me his model. I ordered some so I'll have the real thing to work with soon.
    How'd work out?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •