What's new
What's new

Making a model from G-code?

greenbuggy

Stainless
I've got a G-code program I paid someone else to make for me because they had a high dollar CAD/CAM package capable of doing trochoidal paths and I didn't. I've got some tweaks I'd like to make to the program to reduce my finishing work, but the person who made the program is MIA. I've always paid on time for their expertise and work and I'm now going on more than 6 months without getting the changes made that I needed. Naturally I didn't get the masterCAM files, just the G-code so I'm wondering if there are any programs out there that can create a model from that G-code in order to save some time and avoid recreating the entire thing

I've got a G-code program I paid someone else to make for me because they had a high dollar CAD/CAM package capable of doing trochoidal paths and I didn't. I've got some tweaks I'd like to make to the program to reduce my finishing work, but the person who made the program is MIA. I've always paid on time for their expertise and work and I'm now going on more than 6 months without getting the changes made that I needed. Naturally I didn't get the masterCAM files, just the G-code so I'm wondering if there are any programs out there that can create a model from that G-code in order to save some time and avoid recreating the entire thing

you need tool comp data or tool length and diameter data. sometimes tool verification only shows center of tool tip or center of spindle face where tools go in

There may be something out there that I am not aware of, but otherwise the short answer is no.

All volumetric backplotters that I know of generate STL (triangle meshes) files which are not a viable replacement for a precision cad model.

I understand, but at the same time, I kind of don't. What happened to the original solid model that was used to generate the original program? Do you want to make changes to the model, the program, or both?

I understand what you have invested into it already, and wanting to 'save' it, but why not just take your model, make the changes you want, and program it with the software you have? It won't be ideal, but it'll get you done, right?

All that said, I think WinCAM might be able to use its backplotter to generate a model. Maybe. But I don't know anybody who uses it.

Postprocessors and Simulators | WinCAM Software | Camtek Oy

Hopefully this helps. If you're looking for a new modeler moving forward, feel free to shoot me a message or email through here. I help out some other folks on the forum with things like that.

This is why you should be the one to create the Solid Model of your part\s that way you can change the part the way you need to and if one CAM is MIA, there is always another to help you out.

Now would be a good time for you to get Fusion 360, free for those who don't make over $100 k per year or a whole whopping $300\yr. has design and cam all built in.

@JohnnySW since we don't have a clue what the OP's part looks like and since it was done in Masterscam, he may not be able even use the guys files.

@Greenbuggy you have any type of files, 2d or 3d or was it a hand drawing and the guy designed the part in masterscam

There may be something out there that I am not aware of, but otherwise the short answer is no.

All volumetric backplotters that I know of generate STL (triangle meshes) files which are not a viable replacement for a precision cad model.

I had always thought the same of STL files, but Spaceclaim handles them pretty well.

I had always thought the same of STL files, but Spaceclaim handles them pretty well.

problem is how course the stl is, could have some pretty damn big faceted triangular faces, not the best to cut.

oops didn't really sink in :wrong:....SpaceClaim to reverse to a clean solid, yes pretty sweet.

It's 3D mill work I take it?

Yep

you need tool comp data or tool length and diameter data. sometimes tool verification only shows center of tool tip or center of spindle face where tools go in

Cut with a 3/8" long carbide roughing end mill, that's the only tool involved in this program.

I understand, but at the same time, I kind of don't. What happened to the original solid model that was used to generate the original program? Do you want to make changes to the model, the program, or both?

The guy who made it had a crash that lost the model and from what I've gathered has some personal stuff going on that is making him take weeks+ to respond to my emails. I don't know when (or if) these are going to resolve. But at a minimum I'd be paying him (again) to recreate the model he generated the code off of.

@Greenbuggy you have any type of files, 2d or 3d or was it a hand drawing and the guy designed the part in masterscam

Bingo.

Fusion is free dude... Why the hell are you doing this?

My CAD/CAM skills are lacking, and I'd like to have these changes made before I think I can improve them such to match the skills of the person I previously paid to make this model and subsequent Gcode for me.

Think your best option is to call your customer and ask for the solid model (if you don't already have it) then find a new guy to reprogram the part. By the time you backplot the nc code and then get an idea of the part that it makes, then recreate the toolpaths from that...prob easier to just start over.
This time make part of your rfq to include cad and cam files.

Think your best option is to call your customer and ask for the solid model (if you don't already have it) then find a new guy to reprogram the part. By the time you backplot the nc code and then get an idea of the part that it makes, then recreate the toolpaths from that...prob easier to just start over.
This time make part of your rfq to include cad and cam files.

I am the customer, this is for a part I'm producing (an anvil made out of RR rail). I continue to make more but a few changes would drastically reduce the time I'm spending finishing them.

Thinking about this further, I wonder if it makes more sense to find someone who is capable of creating a model using a 3D scanner (and what doing so would cost).

I am the customer, this is for a part I'm producing (an anvil made out of RR rail). I continue to make more but a few changes would drastically reduce the time I'm spending finishing them.

Thinking about this further, I wonder if it makes more sense to find someone who is capable of creating a model using a 3D scanner (and what doing so would cost).

either scanned or a good CAD guy could make if they had one in hand.

there may be a model of the rail out there already, it would be your mods that are needed to be implemented to it.

you have a pic of a finished one?

railroad rail in SW.jpg

either scanned or a good CAD guy could make if they had one in hand.

there may be a model of the rail out there already, it would be your mods that are needed to be implemented to it.

you have a pic of a finished one?

View attachment 204310

I think if I had a good model of rail (the stuff I mostly use is 136# rail) I could figure out a way to flatten the top (it's just a simple milling op to take the top 3/16" off the rail) then loft the face of the rail to a half-oval shape.

Here's a finished one

IMG_1070.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg

Back