What's new
What's new

mastercam 2017 waterline from outer stock boundary

hinshelwood

Plastic
I'm a bit new to milling in mastercam and could use some help to get the outer part profile cut. What I would like to do is have the part cut by following the part profile from the outer stock boundary inward with constant Z slices using the side flutes of the end mill. What I have now is a waterline cutting a channel in the stock following the outer stock boundary. After trying this on the CNC yesterday friction started building up around the top section of the channel and the shank of the end mill as the program got past the 1" flutes. Also, this method started to wear the bottom of the end mill. For the center hole I am using a helix cut starting from the part origin moving inward. The center driving surfaces are divided in two with 0.005" difference in diameter between the upper and lower cuts to clear the shank of the end mill. Material is S7 Tool steel 7" OD and I am using a Hass TM2.

Center hole path.
centerhole.jpg

Waterline path.
waterline.jpg

Current part.
20170908_152109.jpg

If I understand your question correctly, waterline would be ok to finish the part perimeter but not necessarily the most efficient path to use. I would use 2D contour path. With that path you can set the depth to use more of the flutes and use multi passes to address step over. As far as the cutter heeling when you get past the LOC, either relieve the cutter .002"/side for clearance or buy cutters already relieved for that purpose.

Joe

Last edited:
If I understand your question correctly, waterline would be ok to finish the part perimeter but not necessarily the most efficient path to use. I would use 2D contour path. With that path you can set the depth to use more of the flutes and use multi passes to address step over. As far as the cutter heeling when you get past the LOC, either relieve the cutter .002"/side for clearance or buy cutters already relieved for that purpose.

what Joe said. Unless there's some draft I'm not seeing, a straight up contour will be the best way to get this done

I'd try to rough that out using the dynamic mill path. With your stock setup I think it would result in something with a lot less wasted time that just going with a 2d contour with multi passes.

I'd try to rough that out using the dynamic mill path. With your stock setup I think it would result in something with a lot less wasted time that just going with a 2d contour with multi passes.

Yep, rough with 2D Dynamic, and finish with 2D Contour.

Back