Mastercam 2018 taking forever to startup???
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mastercam 2018 taking forever to startup???

Hi guys,

I am (lately?) seeing it take a really long time for Mastercam to start up.

Dell Precision Tower 3620
    Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 64-bit
    320 GB SSD hard drive

It takes ~60 seconds for the app to get to a usable state with a project loaded. Resource Monitor shows one of my cores spiked at 100% during this time. I don't recall it being this bad in the past.

Anybody else seeing anything like this with Mastercam?

I have all the usual other apps on this workstation and none of them are perceptibly slower, just Mastercam.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

update windows. there was an issue with Mastercam with a recent windows update but there has since been a patch for windows released. updating should solve the problem

3. Likes Finegrain liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    update windows. there was an issue with Mastercam with a recent windows update but there has since been a patch for windows released. updating should solve the problem
    Dang, you're right, thanks!! I ended up having to uninstall the two December updates that got installed, but MCAM loads much faster now.

I'll have to see about the patch you mentioned, since Windows Update will presumably come along and just reinstall the updates I just uninstalled, but at least for now things are usable again.

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Follow-up ...

Turns out there is more to it than just the last couple minor Windows Updates. While Mastercam did speed up after rolling back a couple updates, it soon got dog-slow again.

I talked to Cimtech and they are aware of the problem, but no fix available :-(:

windows-update-issue.jpg

(Probably can't read the text ...)

The culprit is "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, version 1709". Since you only have 10 days after update installation to roll back, you probably cannot roll this back. I got it on 12/9, so I am stuck until Windows and/or Mastercam release a patch.

Regards.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm no IT guru, or even a W10 user, so take this for what it's worth: You might be able to do a System Restore to a time prior to the update, and return the OS to previous state. Don't know if that actually works on W10 (if it's still even something you CAN do), but I've had good result when I needed to revert to a previous setup in W7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my understanding the build that causes the issue is 16299.64 (of version 1709). Click the start button and then type 'winver' to check your build. Build 16299.98 should fix the issue. If your computer will not automatically update to that build, you can force the issue by downloading from the Windows Update Catalog.
    If your reseller (Cimtech) is telling you to hold tight then they may not help with issues resulting from forcing a windows update so proceed at your own risk.