What's new
What's new

MasterCAM 5 axis- How Much to Buy One Seat?

The multiaxis addon package is $7,500 iirc.
So in total (if you have the lathe package) you will end up paying around $28k or less.
If you don't want lathe, then I think you can lower the cost by about $3k-$5k

The multiaxis addon package is $7,500 iirc.
So in total (if you have the lathe package) you will end up paying around $28k or less.
If you don't want lathe, then I think you can lower the cost by about $3k-$5k

OK, I just want to make sure I've read what you wrote correctly. For lathe and 5-axis milling is about $28,000?

And you will want to budget in some money for some dialed in post processors for you machines as well. You do not want to skimp on that end of the deal with 5 axis machines. If are buying a machine as well, get a post from postability, and have them also create a linked up simulator for it as well. It can save a lot of time going back and forth checking clearances, and is relatively reliable for collision checking. It is by no means a replacement for Vericut or NCsimul though which both verify against your posted code.

OK, I just want to make sure I've read what you wrote correctly. For lathe and 5-axis milling is about $28,000?

Yes, that's about what we paid in total.
We paid around $22k and then added on the Multiaxis package which was about another $7500.

And you will want to budget in some money for some dialed in post processors for you machines as well. You do not want to skimp on that end of the deal with 5 axis machines. If are buying a machine as well, get a post from postability, and have them also create a linked up simulator for it as well. It can save a lot of time going back and forth checking clearances, and is relatively reliable for collision checking. It is by no means a replacement for Vericut or NCsimul though which both verify against your posted code.

Another thing to consider is the machine you're going to use.
Does it have the options that you will need? Such as Dynamic Plane Rotation/Tilt?And if you're planning on doing simultaneous 5axis versus 3+2 you will need Inverse Feed and TCPC.

Does MasterCAM offer a 4 axis package that is cheaper? I asked about 5 axis because Surfcam goes straight from 3 to 5 axis, and while I only have a 4th axis to program for I was looking for an apples-to-apples comparison. Surfcam 4th axis is about $16,000 before taxes and the first year of maintenance are added in.

You can do rotary positioning on a 4th with the 3 axis package, but not simultaneous afaik. Not sure which you are looking for.

You can do rotary positioning on a 4th with the 3 axis package, but not simultaneous afaik. Not sure which you are looking for.

I'm looking for the full 4th-axis simultaneous programming. I've machined parts the way you described and it's great for setup reduction, but when the time comes to make parts that, for example, can actuate other parts with rotary motion I will need the full 4th axis capability.

Does MasterCAM offer a 4 axis package that is cheaper? I asked about 5 axis because Surfcam goes straight from 3 to 5 axis, and while I only have a 4th axis to program for I was looking for an apples-to-apples comparison. Surfcam 4th axis is about $16,000 before taxes and the first year of maintenance are added in.

The Mastercam 3D package will let you do 4axis stuff.
The multiaxis add-on is for 5axis stuff....BUT it also has 5axis toolpaths that you can use and still output them for 3,4,or 5 axis.
The Multiaxis drill toolpath is awesome. You can get that as a stand alone for around $1,500 I believe.
I would definitely talk to your local reseller to see what your options are. They don't hound you at all.At least mine doesn't.

@Mtndew, care to share what the maintenance cost and what it includes? 28k doesn't sound that bad... considering. Got PP revisions included at that price or you are on your own with this.

We've just spent little less than 20K on outsourced CAM work alone during the last 1.5 year....could have done with that less-than-pleasant adventure.

just curious mind you (we got our cam upgraded 3 months ago). Just comparing with MC that's all

Back