MasterCAM 5 axis- How Much to Buy One Seat?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    near Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    283
    Likes (Received)
    734

    Default MasterCAM 5 axis- How Much to Buy One Seat?

    Just trying to do a comparison, and I don't want to jump through flaming hoops with a sales person. Can anybody relate a recent price quote they've received? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2807
    Likes (Received)
    1993

    Default

    The multiaxis addon package is $7,500 iirc.
    So in total (if you have the lathe package) you will end up paying around $28k or less.
    If you don't want lathe, then I think you can lower the cost by about $3k-$5k

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    near Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    283
    Likes (Received)
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    The multiaxis addon package is $7,500 iirc.
    So in total (if you have the lathe package) you will end up paying around $28k or less.
    If you don't want lathe, then I think you can lower the cost by about $3k-$5k
    OK, I just want to make sure I've read what you wrote correctly. For lathe and 5-axis milling is about $28,000?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    113

    Default

    And you will want to budget in some money for some dialed in post processors for you machines as well. You do not want to skimp on that end of the deal with 5 axis machines. If are buying a machine as well, get a post from postability, and have them also create a linked up simulator for it as well. It can save a lot of time going back and forth checking clearances, and is relatively reliable for collision checking. It is by no means a replacement for Vericut or NCsimul though which both verify against your posted code.

  5. Likes Mtndew liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2807
    Likes (Received)
    1993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlie gary View Post
    OK, I just want to make sure I've read what you wrote correctly. For lathe and 5-axis milling is about $28,000?
    Yes, that's about what we paid in total.
    We paid around $22k and then added on the Multiaxis package which was about another $7500.

  7. Likes Larry Dickman liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2807
    Likes (Received)
    1993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    And you will want to budget in some money for some dialed in post processors for you machines as well. You do not want to skimp on that end of the deal with 5 axis machines. If are buying a machine as well, get a post from postability, and have them also create a linked up simulator for it as well. It can save a lot of time going back and forth checking clearances, and is relatively reliable for collision checking. It is by no means a replacement for Vericut or NCsimul though which both verify against your posted code.
    Another thing to consider is the machine you're going to use.
    Does it have the options that you will need? Such as Dynamic Plane Rotation/Tilt?And if you're planning on doing simultaneous 5axis versus 3+2 you will need Inverse Feed and TCPC.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    near Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    283
    Likes (Received)
    734

    Default

    Does MasterCAM offer a 4 axis package that is cheaper? I asked about 5 axis because Surfcam goes straight from 3 to 5 axis, and while I only have a 4th axis to program for I was looking for an apples-to-apples comparison. Surfcam 4th axis is about $16,000 before taxes and the first year of maintenance are added in.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    255
    Likes (Received)
    57

    Default

    You can do rotary positioning on a 4th with the 3 axis package, but not simultaneous afaik. Not sure which you are looking for.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    near Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    283
    Likes (Received)
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Gilles View Post
    You can do rotary positioning on a 4th with the 3 axis package, but not simultaneous afaik. Not sure which you are looking for.
    I'm looking for the full 4th-axis simultaneous programming. I've machined parts the way you described and it's great for setup reduction, but when the time comes to make parts that, for example, can actuate other parts with rotary motion I will need the full 4th axis capability.

  12. Likes J Gilles liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2807
    Likes (Received)
    1993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlie gary View Post
    Does MasterCAM offer a 4 axis package that is cheaper? I asked about 5 axis because Surfcam goes straight from 3 to 5 axis, and while I only have a 4th axis to program for I was looking for an apples-to-apples comparison. Surfcam 4th axis is about $16,000 before taxes and the first year of maintenance are added in.
    The Mastercam 3D package will let you do 4axis stuff.
    The multiaxis add-on is for 5axis stuff....BUT it also has 5axis toolpaths that you can use and still output them for 3,4,or 5 axis.
    The Multiaxis drill toolpath is awesome. You can get that as a stand alone for around $1,500 I believe.
    I would definitely talk to your local reseller to see what your options are. They don't hound you at all.At least mine doesn't.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default

    @Mtndew, care to share what the maintenance cost and what it includes? 28k doesn't sound that bad... considering. Got PP revisions included at that price or you are on your own with this.

    We've just spent little less than 20K on outsourced CAM work alone during the last 1.5 year....could have done with that less-than-pleasant adventure.

    just curious mind you (we got our cam upgraded 3 months ago). Just comparing with MC that's all


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •