What's new
What's new

Mastercam 9.1 on Windows XP

Ludotw

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine is running a lot of CNC machining centers and he want to use Mastercam 9.1.

My Friend is based in south of Taiwan but do not speak chinese so not able to receive any Mastercam support, only in the States but they don't understand his needs.

Of course, he has the licenses for 3 seats but his Windows XP looks like to work very slow so here are some questions for some power-users in this forum :

-what is the latest version of Mastercam 9.1 who can run on Windows XP sp3 ?
-Since this version of Mastercam was DOS based, any particular tweaking inside Windows to make it run much faster ?
-quad core CPU or dual core CPU is problem ? Memory at 3Gb is a problem ?
-anything else to make it run smoothly ?

Thanks again for your time !

Ludovic

I don't know much about about the software versions for 9.1 but we had it on our XP computer for a while and it ran pretty well. XP is backwards compatible so if you right mouse click the icon there will be a compatibility icon and up will come a compatibility mode click that and with some tweaking you should be able to suito decrease XPs performace when running it to make it run better. Its worked for me when running some Windows 95 programs.

Thanks Alex for your answer.

anyone know about the latest version of Mastercam 9.1 running on Xp sp2 ?

Ludovic

MasterCam 9.1 works well on my XP systems, even with the SP 3 addition that came out lately. I am running 16 seats at work and one at home, no problems or slow activity. It DID nowever, kill the "sleep mode" due to the hasp.

I am running minimum memory on many machines - 512 to 1 gig.

A few questions....

1. Never heard of 9.1 running in DOS. That was 3.1, this changed with 6.1, which also runs with XP quite well (I have this rigged well for my lathes). Are you sure this is right?

2. What type of security device - USB hasp or parallel port hasp? This may be an issue with USB 2.0 versus the older USB technology? just guessing here.

3. This is a legal copy - RIGHT????

Here is a suggestion - Defrag your hard drive. The load/install may be all over the place on it.

I vaguely remember a problem I had some years ago when I was upgrading MasterCAM v8 to v9 and upgraded the computer at the same time. We got a good price on what was for the time a fast computer with an AMD processor, and MasterCAM refused to run well at all. Called tech support, and they said they only recommended an Intel processor; they didn’t support AMD. Luckily I was able to return the new computer, add some more $$$, and buy the equivalent with a Pentium processor. I don’t know if this could still be an issue with newer chipsets, but it might be.

[FONT=&quot]Dennis[/FONT]

Thanks Alex for your answer.

anyone know about the latest version of Mastercam 9.1 running on Xp sp2 ?

Ludovic
The last version was V9.1 Mr0105 was the last. it does run on XP SP3 as I have it a on a few computers. If you having issues go to www.mastercam.com and then Support and get the the Hasp9 drivers this will help if this is a new computer.

I have run MasterCam 9.1 on an AMD Processor with no problems at all for years now. Started with an AMD K62 350, moved to the K63 and on to the present AMD's 32 bit though.

Back