What's new
What's new

EdgeCam? Have to move to this due to change in curriculum

spope14

Stainless
Our school is now committed to Project lead the Way, which I think may be a good thing. However, I am going to have to buy EdgeCam as a part of the required package, and after 21 years as a masterCam user, this will be our new CNC Programming package.

A few questions - does this have its own "graphics design" package, or is it an add on to the Autodesk packages such as inventor?

How is the ease of use comparable to MasterCam?

Does it do lathe programming? I have Light machine and Fanuc OTC to look forward to adapting to

How well are post processors adapted by the user, by the company (support)? I also have Anilam mills and Fanuc to look forward to adapting to.

CNC "Proving" packages?

Does it readily program in cutter comp (g41, G42)?

Any other comments.

Thanks, look forward to user comments who have this package or have used both MasterCam (I have X2) and edgecam. I want to be fair in developing my opinions here.

I've had Edgecam for 8-10 years and like it. Never had Mastercam, but I've been told many times that Edge is easier to use than MC. I also have Smartcam, and find Edge MUCH easier than Smartcam, I've been told MC is a lot like Smartcam. We do turning and milling in Edge. The code generator constructor is excellent, we built our own code gnerator for a Milltronics hybrid lathe with no previous knowlege or outside assistance. Edgecam offers a solid modeler at an additional cost, and offers some dimensioning but does not have a full blown 2D CAD module. You can load Inventor models and make the toolpath assiciative to the model, so that when you change the Inventor model, the toolpath will change to follow the model. G41&42, yes, can also do 4 and 5 axis, mold making/surfaces, etc. The verification module is excellent.

Here's a great place to ask questions - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EdgeCAM-users/

Back