What's new
What's new

Mastercam bogged dow

Pitty920

Aluminum
Okay i am soo fed up with waiting for mastercam to process!
What am do to overload it is one bringing in full model assemblies to isolate my part .
Worse though is area rest. Area rest is a amazing feature but it back processes each path to calculate remaining stock!
So here is what i have for hardware
Intel xenon(not the issue imo)
Nividia quadro k2000( the culprit imo)
32GB ddr3 ram
Solid state for os

Please help i want to upgrad to the m4000
But need to justify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt your graphics card is causing toolpath processing to be slow. Unless the CPU is leveraging the graphics processor to help out, it's going to be CPU and/or RAM bound.

Regards.

Mike

Can you bring your assembly into something else to isolate then export the part you need for CNC?
Depending on the assembly, I can see that graphically bogging down a computer.

Which Xeon do you have? You don't think that could be the problem but it very well may be. Are either of the operations you mention multi threaded and utilizing all the cores of the CPU, or just one core?

Unless the CPU is leveraging the graphics processor to help out

Which it's not..

Run a calculation and look at your task manager. Most likely either your processor and/or memory will hit capacity. Figure out which one it is, and increase capabilities there.

If not, then there's really not going to be any way to dramatically impact calculation times, as it's due to the toolpath itself not effectively leveraging available resources.

I'm pretty sure that Mastercam calcs fastest with high clockrate chips. Sure Xeons are great chips but a lot of them have low clock rates. Get a gamer chip and overclock it, you could be looking at clock speeds of 4.5Ghz+...compare that to a Xeon which could be running at 2.5-3.5Ghz.

Okay i am soo fed up with waiting for mastercam to process!
What am do to overload it is one bringing in full model assemblies to isolate my part .
Worse though is area rest. Area rest is a amazing feature but it back processes each path to calculate remaining stock!
So here is what i have for hardware
Intel xenon(not the issue imo)
Nividia quadro k2000( the culprit imo)
32GB ddr3 ram
Solid state for os

Please help i want to upgrad to the m4000
But need to justify

Which Xeon do you have?
In order to have a Xeon that's better than...say.. the i7 6700k you need to spend at least $1500 or more on said Xeon.
Not saying it's your computer at all though.
Have you tried this with a different file?
How big are your files? If they are massive, you might want to think about getting another 32GB of RAM. And since RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, that's only a $250 upgrade.

I second watching your resources in the task manager. If you are pegging your cpu and/or ram you'll be hating life. I run 32GB for NX with multiple sessions at the same time and have enough ram. Our Mastercam programmers use more ram than I because the stock model processing spikes ram usage at some point. I think they are running 32 GB of ram but they can easily peg that if they crunch two stock models at once. Supposedly they are looking at 64GB upgrades.

I second watching your resources in the task manager. If you are pegging your cpu and/or ram you'll be hating life. I run 32GB for NX with multiple sessions at the same time and have enough ram. Our Mastercam programmers use more ram than I because the stock model processing spikes ram usage at some point. I think they are running 32 GB of ram but they can easily peg that if they crunch two stock models at once. Supposedly they are looking at 64GB upgrades.

Also, depending on what NX you're running, it was traditionally not-awesome at calculating multiple toolpaths or utilizing multiple cores, and Mastercam used to have the same problems. I know NX is better now, and i'm fairly sure Mastercam is as well.. But the downside to better hardware utilization is that it once again moves the bottleneck from software to hardware.

Also, depending on what NX you're running, it was traditionally not-awesome at calculating multiple toolpaths or utilizing multiple cores, and Mastercam used to have the same problems. I know NX is better now, and i'm fairly sure Mastercam is as well.. But the downside to better hardware utilization is that it once again moves the bottleneck from software to hardware.

I am running the xenophobia n is n the reccomended master cam page they either suggests i7 or a specific xeon. I am pretty sure it is a $1300 cpu it has 12 cores i think and at least 4 of them are used pretty heavily. I reviewed my gpu with gpuz a d my cpu with processes manager. During the entire processing the gou is at less than 1% load unless i use the space mouse then it jumps to 60%. The cpu during the area rest process my counstarts at 9% and towards the end jumps all the way to 75%. That is the highest i have ever see. It. Ram is only using 5GB out of 32gb. So nothing is maxed it should compute much faster. Using X9 will have 2017 version at weeks end. New raster path update looks amazing!!!

Now i remember going through my config settings and i ramped up accuracy to .0005". Ow it may have done so to screen res and others so that may be adding a lot of uneeded processing. Either way my hardware is not maxed.
Also i went into processes in windows and set mastercam to priority. I have my power prefs in windows control panel to high perf. I am baffled if its not the gpu i thought the gpu was used a lot more for processing in cam guess not.

I am running the xenophobia n is n the reccomended master cam page they either suggests i7 or a specific xeon. I am pretty sure it is a $1300 cpu it has 12 cores i think and at least 4 of them are used pretty heavily. I reviewed my gpu with gpuz a d my cpu with processes manager. During the entire processing the gou is at less than 1% load unless i use the space mouse then it jumps to 60%. The cpu during the area rest process my counstarts at 9% and towards the end jumps all the way to 75%. That is the highest i have ever see. It. Ram is only using 5GB out of 32gb. So nothing is maxed it should compute much faster. Using X9 will have 2017 version at weeks end. New raster path update looks amazing!!!

Pretty sure a 12 core xeon is going to be wasted on mastercam. The 12 core sku's are low clocked as well, depending on which generation and specific sku it's probably around 2.5Ghz. I expect you're right about 4 cores being hammered, MC probably won't use more than 4 for toolpaths, which is why you will never see general CPU usage go very high - the other 8 cores will be doing nothing. A high clocked 6700K/7700K would give you a lot more performance.

Now i remember going through my config settings and i ramped up accuracy to .0005". Ow it may have done so to screen res and others so that may be adding a lot of uneeded processing. Either way my hardware is not maxed.
Also i went into processes in windows and set mastercam to priority. I have my power prefs in windows control panel to high perf. I am baffled if its not the gpu i thought the gpu was used a lot more for processing in cam guess not.

No cam software that I am aware of has GPU acceleration for toolpaths - all done on CPU. Most toolpath calculations do not lend themselves to parallelization - hence why most cam software has been slow to get multithreaded toolpath calculation working at all.

You probably don't have a 12 core xeon you most likely have a 6 core with hyper threading making windows think you have 12 cores.

Based on price above and using DDR3 Ram, I'm guessing you have E5-2667

If you jumped to an I7 7700K you would be about 27% faster and if you overclocked to that system to 4.9/5.0 Ghz you're talkinabout 45% faster for chip that cost ~$350.

Another,bang for your buck is the I5 7600K which be about 17% faster for only ~$250 this may not fit if do alot of rendering/video editing though.

I am running the xenophobia n is n the recommended master cam page they either suggests i7 or a specific xeon.

Ok, you're still not telling us which Xeon you have. They recommend an E3 or higher (for bare minimal requirements)
They also recommend an i7... there are a ton of i7's out there, I could get one that's 9 years old and it would perform like total shit.

If you're not computer savvy, that's ok, we can help.

One other thing.... what is your tolerance set to in those toolpaths? A filter setting too small will make Mastercam take forever to process a toolpath.

Like mentioned here already, if your system isn't being truly utilized on the software end, there isn't a whole ton you can do to increase performance. About the only thing would be moving from your current CPU, which has relatively low clock speeds but a decent number of cores, to something with fewer cores but higher clock speeds.

I'm not a mastercam guy, but I believe multi-threading support was a fairly recent addition. Before making any changes, you might verify that you do indeed have the functionality, and that it's working properly. It sounds like a good bet, since you mention that several cores are being utilized well.

Ok, you're still not telling us which Xeon you have. They recommend an E3 or higher (for bare minimal requirements)
They also recommend an i7... there are a ton of i7's out there, I could get one that's 9 years old and it would perform like total shit.

If you're not computer savvy, that's ok, we can help.

One other thing.... what is your tolerance set to in those toolpaths? A filter setting too small will make Mastercam take forever to process a toolpath.

No o am computer savy i built my own gaming rig i have a i5 3570k with ssd on os and cf d gpus. I was not at work so i could not tell u the specific model. I will check today i work 2nd shift. I am also aware it is a 6 physical cores and 6 synthetics.

Like mentioned here already, if your system isn't being truly utilized on the software end, there isn't a whole ton you can do to increase performance. About the only thing would be moving from your current CPU, which has relatively low clock speeds but a decent number of cores, to something with fewer cores but higher clock speeds.

I'm not a mastercam guy, but I believe multi-threading support was a fairly recent addition. Before making any changes, you might verify that you do indeed have the functionality, and that it's working properly. It sounds like a good bet, since you mention that several cores are being utilized well.

Yes it must as there is now way mastercam could soak up 75% of the cpu in one core

Yes it must as there is now way mastercam could soak up 75% of the cpu in one core

But u may be on to something maybe it only utilized physical cores so only 6 of 12

I could look into a i 7 or even a higher clcoking 6 core but there have got to be perks to the one i have . I also run pro e and solidworks

What can i do to truly utilize the software end

75% of one core? What?

I could look into a i 7 or even a higher clcoking 6 core but there have got to be perks to the one i have . I also run pro e and solidworks

Xeons have a higher cache (most of the time) and can use ECC ram that's it otherwise I7's are way better workstation cpu.

Back