What's new
What's new

Mastercam custom tool surfacing?

Imachecknician

Plastic
I am having issues trying to get mastercam to surface an undercut surface with a custom defined tool. The profile of the custom tool will be a full radius slot mill truncated to the half point of the radius. I have tried numerous toolpaths, and while they do create a path they are nowhere close creating the correct surface. Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to surface with a custom tool? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

There are only two toolpaths that support undercutting.
SURFACE FINISH and FLOWLINE. Well maybe some of the multiaxis paths?

Do you have your tool correctly defined in the tool manager?

I tried using flowline, as well as morph between two curves in multi axis. The tool does show up as properly defined, I'm just thinking it may not be possible to surface with a custom tool.

MKD said it, turn off gouge checking. I don't quite understand a full radius slot mill? Do you mean a ball end that goes 'past center' to like 270deg or something like this -

Harvey Tool - Advanced Search

Mastercam calls them lollipop end mills, Harvey is undercut ball.

03728bb40d7ac37e21f9c7833cd2655f.png
does this pic describe what you are asking?if so I used a sanvick 1 inch bull mill that used 2 rckt inserts that are .5 sis then I spun down the holder to .5 inch up the shank about 2 inches. We went thru several solid carbide tools they break easy and load up easy. The sanvick just turn the cutting edge and go again. If this is what you are wanting to do I can get the tool paths out and get you all the info they were cut with mastercam also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastercam does not use the custom tool profile for calculating the toolpath, only for visualizing.

Back