What's new
What's new

Mastercam for simple rotary indexing on 4 axis mill

viper

Titanium
All the 4th axis stuff we have done on the mills has been super simple and hand programmed. I would like to maybe try to take a few to get MCX on board this time around. Can anyone give some quick pointers to punch and tap very simple radial holes in a part? Basically all the same, just index and do over...

I am trying to avoid doing a complex setup or create new machine defs for lathe type paths just for this. Is there some simple functionality to do this? After poking around a bit, it sure looks like hand programming will be easier....

mill and lathe but just starting in mill turn work on the lathe. I am trying to drive this 4th index work from the mill seat. Just makes more sense than trying to flip over to lathe just for one operation. I know we have the 4th package in milling. I have some generic posts for 4th but honestly, I don't think it's as easy as they say. I thought there was a simple function in the machine defs to enable a rotary and define it's abilities. I may be wrong.

You need to search around google alittle for the 4/5th axis masterCam tutorial. I found a page that had a link to a Free 30 something page tutortial that completely covers a round part in the 4th that has slots and radial holes.

Helped me temendously. If your just drilling and tapping a pattern it WILL be faster to program at the control.

I do understand that you would like to learn to use it though. We rarely use the 4th, so I have to brush up on my skills everytime I slap it back it on the machine.

4th axis programing

for easy quick 4th axis programing we'll often just program as a 2d drill routine or such. name each rotation as a different fixture off set. post as usual then add the A 0.0 or A-0.0 rotation in after, at each line in the program where it is needed in the text editor. does this make since. it is quick and works well. we will rotate geometry and save each fixture offset to a different level and each fixture offset has a Z of 6.00 above the table which is the height to the center of the three jaw from the table -Chris-

Yep, that makes sense to me. I think I have enough to get this done. Need 11 offsets. Never done it that way but sounds easy enough, especially the way my post is setup.

Back