What's new
What's new

Mastercam stock setup question

atgordon

Cast Iron
I use Mastercam infrequently to create posts for my Clausing Kondia FV-1. Generally, I use the bounding box for stock setup (since most of my work is on rectangular stock).

I am helping out a local company that uses a router for their work. They want a part machined on a more rigid machine machine and have given me the STEP file.

Got it loaded fine ... but cannot see a way to setup the stock so I am not cutting a lot of air! Is there a way to set the stock based on the existing model + .125" on X, Y and Z surfaces?

Hopefully, this screen shot will show what I trying to do!

MCAM stock.jpg

I use the surface(s) to drive the toolpath vs stock. If you surface machine that model you only need the stock setup to verify.

I do recall that there is an option to use a stl file to use as stock in the verify instead of a box or cylinder, but I have only done it once and it was a long time ago.

Many thanks ... in principle, I could do that but the stock I have is sized to include the core prints, so a lot of material would need removal from the sides of the center tube ... and as you mentioned (jrmach suggested too), I can very easily create an STL of the stock I plan to use. Much easier!

I use the surface(s) to drive the toolpath vs stock. If you surface machine that model you only need the stock setup to verify.

I do recall that there is an option to use a stl file to use as stock in the verify instead of a box or cylinder, but I have only done it once and it was a long time ago.

Hadn't thought of that (well, being very honest ... didn't even know that I could!).

When I tried it, I was having difficulty since I don't see the chain dialog (I'm guessing the object is seen as a solid (it was a STEP import): my attempts to create a surface from a solid (create/surface/from solid don't seem to be working (difficulty in selecting surfaces ... ) [this is in X7], so chaining isn't seen, it just selects 39 surfaces when I click on any surface (and reports the 39 in the Toolpath/surface selection/Drive box).

I solved the problem by using the containment boundary option and drawing a boundary around the part matching the footprint of the stock (had to adjust the SHS-hybrid Z steps to spiral down to the shallower parts). Looks like it will work (don't have the material yet, but verify looks good!).

You can also use the Silhouette Boundary function and then chain your stock.

What version of Mastercam are you using? You can pick a solid model for stock in Stock Setup, but if you want to use it to control toolpaths you should create a Stock Model from the solid. Then you can specify that stock model in your dynamic paths.

Using X7. Just tried what you suggested, and was able to use the drawn object to create the STL file and use it in the stock setup, and you're right ... no need to spoof Z, it cuts directly on the desired surfaces!

Really appreciate the suggestion! :cheers:

What version of Mastercam are you using? You can pick a solid model for stock in Stock Setup, but if you want to use it to control toolpaths you should create a Stock Model from the solid. Then you can specify that stock model in your dynamic paths.

Hadn't thought of that (well, being very honest ... didn't even know that I could!).

When I tried it, I was having difficulty since I don't see the chain dialog (I'm guessing the object is seen as a solid (it was a STEP import): my attempts to create a surface from a solid (create/surface/from solid don't seem to be working (difficulty in selecting surfaces ... ) [this is in X7], so chaining isn't seen, it just selects 39 surfaces when I click on any surface (and reports the 39 in the Toolpath/surface selection/Drive box).

Silhouette Boundary just creates a 2D wireframe around your model. You can use Solid Bodies, Solid Faces, or Surfaces.It's pretty handy sometimes.
But I see now that you wanted the entire 3D model to be your stock. ;)

Copy your model to another level and Trasform Scale the copied model and use it as stock.

Back