What's new
What's new

Mastercam Training recommendations

tyler8me

Plastic
Hello all, I am currently working as a machinist and I program with mastercam x6 at work. I would really like to do injection molding work, I am an engineering student so I have an okay background in solid modeling software like solidworks. But I don't think my mastercam surfacing skills are up to snuff. Can anyone suggest some kind of training I could do so I can move toward moldmaking. Thanks for your time

Hello all, I am currently working as a machinist and I program with mastercam x6 at work. I would really like to do injection molding work, I am an engineering student so I have an okay background in solid modeling software like solidworks. But I don't think my mastercam surfacing skills are up to snuff. Can anyone suggest some kind of training I could do so I can move toward moldmaking. Thanks for your time
If your willing to pay, i would call your nearest mastercam rep and tell him what you want. there is a website called http://www.mastercamu.com/index.html...also a good invesment. emastercam.com has helped me out alot when i have questions.

First of all thank you for your time, for mastercamu do I need to buy a full version of mastercam?
which one of Mike Mattera's videos do you think I should get the x6 hst 3d or the intro to mastercam one or should I get both.

Thanks again

In the MasterCAM classes I teach, we are using books from In-House Solutions. I've been using them for a couple of years now, and really like them.

I have used caminstructor.com (Mastercam Training Books, Tutorials, Videos and Online Courses - CamInstructor) and have been very happy with them. It has a nice relaxed pace that helps when you are jumping around in the course (just have to figure out how to do that one thing before you go through the whole course), not too boring but it does not go so fast that it is a lot of work to keep up. The learning part sort of sneaks up on you.

I find myself in a similar circumstance.

I have used several CAD/CAM systems over the years. Many versions of Bobcad, some pre Y2K Surfcam, Espirt ( early 2004, mainly for WEDM ), MasterCAM v6 and later V9 and now I own the 2013 Alibre Desgin Expert with the (Mecsoft) Alibre CAM2.

I got laid off in 2008 and again in 2009 - so when the offer came to hang up my shop apron and move back into IT Administration and Broadcast Engineering I took the job. It was part time, but paid decent and I lined up a second part time gig to fill the rest of my free time (hours I wasn't getting paid for).

Long story short - the 2 part time jobs fit my schedule and my financial needs.

Well all good things come to and end - and the owners of job #2 decided to hang it up and retire, they sold off the real estate and liquidated the business. This leaves me a good $200+ a week short, so it looks like I'm going to have to grab my apron again and go back to the full time grind, something that I have actually missed dearly.

Problem is everyone expects you to be a Mastercam wizard - and I have not been making chips for nearly 4 years, I have some catchup to do.

Now I DO know G-code, I learned the old school hard way with a pocket trig table and a TI-99 and you hand made every line, and when done, you used a teletype to enter the program and make a punched tape. CAD/CAM was not mainstream yet, a 48K Apple II+ could barely hold the geometry assist software that helped plot arc tangent endpoints for fillets.

Anyway - I need the best bang for the buck, back to business crash course that is out there.

Its not that my current part time job isn't exciting - it just isn't paying the bills anymore. So its time for me to get back to work.

Last edited:
I've been looking as well, I like eapprentice. I like the fact that they put their price right on the front page. And how down to "this is what you need to know to get the machine to make chips" they are. They also seem pretty professional about the whole affair. Trying to figure out where to start with them though.

One of the main reasons I was looking at MastercamU was because they tie it pretty close to the Mastercam certificate. But how valuable/useful is that? The fact that they ask to have a qoute requested immediatly makes me want to turn away from it.The owner of my company has the mentality that programmers are "non money making" personel, so I am kinda flyin solo in my pursuit of advancing programming knowledge. And while they have talked about helping me pay for programming courses, I haven't seen any checks cut.

It seems like 80% or more of the programmers I have met are just Machinists who wanted to sit in the A/C and had the patience and above average intelligence to fuck with a computer program all day. No training, no idea how to make Mastercam do what it was designed to do. And I really don't want to end up in that category.

Tyler, we currently offer some of the best mastercam training on the market, both high quality and exercise-based training all in video tutorial format (DVDs). You are welcome to check out our website at VTPROS - HOME

All our Mastercam X6 & X7 video tutorials are affordable and high quality. We carry Mill, Lathe, Solids and Multi-Axis.

Here are few links to our ebay items as well:

Mastercam X6-X7 Mill, Lathe, Solids & Multi-Axis Bundle Video Tutorial
Mastercam x1 x7 Lathe Mill Solids Multi Axis Video Tutorial HD Training | eBay

Mastercam X7 Multi-Axis Video Tutorial
Mastercam x6 x7 Multi Axis 4 5 Axis Video Tutorial HD Courses Training Free SHIP | eBay

Let me know if you have any questions

Moussa Sleiman
vtpros.net

Back