What's new
What's new

Mastercam x9 vs. 2018

zr1nsx

Aluminum
I had been a Surfcam user for 15+ years when I made the switch to Mastercam in 2008. I've been using Mastercam since and have been very happy with it all the way through X9. Recently we upgraded to the latest version and while it is the same product, the new screen layouts have slowed me down to a crawl until I get comfortable again. Not sure I like the new version. Keystrokes that I had become comfortable with are now completely uncomfortable. Hopefully it will feel normal again soon, but so far I don't like it. Anyone else care to comment? These are minor teething pains and I'll admit I'm a creature of habit.

I had been a Surfcam user for 15+ years when I made the switch to Mastercam in 2008. I've been using Mastercam since and have been very happy with it all the way through X9. Recently we upgraded to the latest version and while it is the same product, the new screen layouts have slowed me down to a crawl until I get comfortable again. Not sure I like the new version. Keystrokes that I had become comfortable with are now completely uncomfortable. Hopefully it will feel normal again soon, but so far I don't like it. Anyone else care to comment? These are minor teething pains and I'll admit I'm a creature of habit.

This interface change topic has been beaten to death over on the mastercam forums, some love it some hate it. Regardless, they won't be changing it back. Personally, after using it for a while I now actually prefer the new interface. Sometimes it does take an extra click to perform a task but if you are really concerned about that you can just make custom toolbars and be done with it.

Yes it has been beaten to death.
I still hate it, it's nowhere near as efficient for me as X9 was.
That being said,if you take the time to make your own tabs, it will help your workflow.
I put my most used functions on 2 or 3 tabs because their default layout is as usual...complete garbage.

Last time I evaluated it, it was X9. I went with HSMWorks. I am now evaluating 2018 and so far I am struggling to like it. I need some more time with it but the workflow seems cumbersome in comparison to HSM unfortunately. I was hoping that it was at least the same. Not finding that so far.

Last time I evaluated it, it was X9. I went with HSMWorks. I am now evaluating 2018 and so far I am struggling to like it. I need some more time with it but the workflow seems cumbersome in comparison to HSM unfortunately. I was hoping that it was at least the same. Not finding that so far.

Sadly you will never find another program as slick as HSM for the GUI. You can rule that hope out and don't expect to find anything like HSM but looking at the baggage HSM has attached to itself I know which I would rather have. Really I guess I would like HSM as it was and not with Autodesk but such is not to be. Around here the new Mastercam interface seems to be well received and the new versions preferred over the old.

I'm not in the camp of liking the new interface.
But I didn't buy it for the interface...
I bought it for the versatility, and how fast I can get code to the machine.
That and I also do contract programming and EVERYBODY uses Mastercam

I like the new interface. Just wish they would stop retaining all the roadblocks to the workflow.
Wish some of the simpler paths auto-generated like HSMworks.

Sorry, I meant area clearance. Area clearance was in X8 and was different than area roughing. My apologies for the mix up.

That toolpath consolidation was done back in X9. I think it was an improvement to consolidate these paths.

• X8 OptiCore = X9 Dynamic OptiRough set to From outside.
  • X8 OptiArea = X9 Dynamic OptiRough set to Stay inside.
  • X8 OptiRest = X9 Dynamic OptiRough with Rest Material page enabled.
  • X8 Core Roughing = X9 Area Roughing set to From outside.
  • X8 Area Clearance = X9 Area Roughing set to Stay inside.
  • X8 Rest Rough = X9 Area Roughing with Rest Material page enabled.
What difference are you seeing between the old X8 path and the new path with the settings above?

That toolpath consolidation was done back in X9. I think it was an improvement to consolidate these paths.

• X8 OptiCore = X9 Dynamic OptiRough set to From outside.
  • X8 OptiArea = X9 Dynamic OptiRough set to Stay inside.
  • X8 OptiRest = X9 Dynamic OptiRough with Rest Material page enabled.
  • X8 Core Roughing = X9 Area Roughing set to From outside.
  • X8 Area Clearance = X9 Area Roughing set to Stay inside.
  • X8 Rest Rough = X9 Area Roughing with Rest Material page enabled.
What difference are you seeing between the old X8 path and the new path with the settings above?

A lot of computation errors is the main problem I end up coming up with.

A lot of computation errors is the main problem I end up coming up with.

Can you give an example of when this happens as this is not typical behavior. I have not received this error when using these toolpaths, in X8 or newer versions. Have you contacted your reseller to help with this?

I think you are looking for inside vs outside. I know what you speak of as far as computational errors, but would just chalk them up to operator input perception. Its a little different than it was now that we have area to avoid, and machining area, so on so forth. Play around with those and you will find all of the old functionality is there and it is likely better now in a few spots.

Can you give an example of when this happens as this is not typical behavior. I have not received this error when using these toolpaths, in X8 or newer versions. Have you contacted your reseller to help with this?

Can't think of an exact example until it happens again, which it surely will. Not a big enough bother to contact the reseller, as I'll just end up trying to use optirough if it pisses me off enough. Also not sure if any of you guys have had any problems with rest milling either, but have ran into some problems there as well.

Can't think of an exact example until it happens again, which it surely will. Not a big enough bother to contact the reseller, as I'll just end up trying to use optirough if it pisses me off enough. Also not sure if any of you guys have had any problems with rest milling either, but have ran into some problems there as well.

I've never seen a computation error,and haven't had issues with Rest Mill. It must be something that you're doing or not doing in order to keep getting those messages. If you could share a file, or walk us through your process the next time it happens someone could probably help you better.

I've never seen a computation error,and haven't had issues with Rest Mill. It must be something that you're doing or not doing in order to keep getting those messages. If you could share a file, or walk us through your process the next time it happens someone could probably help you better.

What is really weird is I might copy a program just to change a tool or something minor and nothing will work even if I change it back to the original tool/speed/feed etc.. I will certainly try to think about it the next time this happens.

Back