What's new
What's new

ME 10 File Conversion

AD Design

Stainless
Could really use some advice from the collective. I am soon to inherit a great lot of CAD files (1,000's) created with the ME-10 program. To make a long story shorter the program is currently not functional. The information on those files is still needed on an almost daily basis for viewing and to create stamping die components on the WEDM. Viewing is not the problem, I can get Creo Elements to open the files but not save to a useful format. We've already been in touch with PTC and they haven't offered much help other than suggest a configuration edit in Creo that doesn't work. I've already found/used the translator that comes with Creo but am not successful in converting the older files, I get a screen message that states the file is not ASCII type. The translator does work for files I create in Creo/save to dxf/convert to .mi and back so it does work for some files. All of the reading/searching I've done suggests that there are "unique" aspects about converting .mi files and some data may be lost. It also appears that the time to have migrated away from ME-10 was at least 10 years ago when translators/converters were needed and more readily available. One of the IT guys at corporate has suggested/stated that the older files that we can't convert were/are written in a binary code. This is now squarely beyond the limit my knowledge. I'm attempting to pursue a solution because a problem that doesn't directly affect corporate seems to have less of a priority, it's been 4 weeks already. I have an outside company reviewing the problems but I'm willing to bet that the cost will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the corridors of power. So before I just step back and let the ball fall I wanted to ask if any of you have had to wrestle with the legacy of a large data base in an unsupported program and whether you found a solution. A batch translator would be great but if a single serving conversion is all that's possible then the company needs to hear this too. Thanking you in advance for your time and advice. I hate it when short sighted bean counters make decisions that bite someone else in the arse. My apologies for the rant.

Have you seen this :- Came\Cmea Translator. Claims to do a translation in AutoCAD.

Older file types not being correctly identified may be a computer issue. Had an encounter with legacy files in another program being unable to make the 386 or 486 (I think) to Pentium jump. As I recall matters those files were originally created with a 286 based machine and the more modern processor didn't want to know. Guys with the problem borrowed a 386 off me and a 486 off someone else and worked their way up via temporary installs, fortunately the legacy versions of the program disks had been kept, to get files which could be opened in a (then) modern machine. Never did get a straight answer as to what went wrong.

Clive

Hadn't seen the Came/Cmea Translator in my search, will look into it. I don't think it's a computer issue (not that I'd know) because when the program was working it opened files, saved to IGES/DXF without incident. The problem arose when CoCreate/ME-10 became inoperable and corporate didn't want to continue using it, long story. This might not have even been a problem either had CoCreate/ME-10 continued to be supported by PTC. Then again, when PTC pulled support that's probably what prompted ABB (we're owned by) to issue the cease-all-activity directive. Thanks Clive.

I feel your pain. One of our sister companies in Europe is still using the CoCreate version of Me10. They still send me files in me10 format. Luckily 6 or 8 years ago my company purchesed the 2007 version of CoCreate One Space. This is what I use to extract dxf files from the Me10 drawings they send. If they send as dxf files and you try to open with AutoCad or equivalent trying to save out the needed geometry is very trying as, all 2d drawings for a compoonent are stacked on top of one another. This acts like an Autocad block. You have to explode it to get to any individual geometry but all dimensions and features come out as separate entities.

The only place I found to support this software was CoCreate / PTC but, since this was apparently DOS based code they claim it will not run on the newer computer os.

Regards

atr

It's really a bit odd that I can create a file in Creo, save as a dxf, use the converter (separate program within Creo) to "save as" a .mi file and it will open with no trouble in Elements. But all files created with Me10/Cocreate cannot be converted to dxf with that same translator/converter. It's a problem I'll have to deal with when the current CAD guy retires in 8 weeks. I appreciate your reply even if it merely confirmed the difficulties others have had, thanks ATR. There's been almost 150 members that have viewed this thread, no solutions.

Last edited:
There's been almost 150 members that have viewed this thread, no solutions.

That's because not many people used ME10, ME30 or even HP Solid Designer and the ones that did use them jumped to ProE and converted their files over to it early on.

but everyone checks on the outcome just in case they might get this type of file and want to know how to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
That's because not many people used ME10, ME30 or even HP Solid Designer and the ones that did use them jumped to ProE and converted their files over to it early on.

but everyone checks on the outcome just in case they might get this type of file and want to know how to resolve the issue.

-No len that's not what I was driving at, perhaps I poorly worded my last post. I find it a bit odd that I can create files in Creo, change the file extension back/forth with no trouble. But files created by ME-10/CoCreate cannot be converted in the same manner. Perhaps someone that understand code doesn't find this odd, I know next to nothing about computer code.

I do agree with your first assertion that people bailed on ME10 early on and suggested as much. I still find posts on the internet offering translators/converters from nearly a decade ago that are no longer available. There are companies that sold such translators/converters back then that have disappeared. Nobody needs them any longer, the smart people migrated away from ME-10 and it's many versions when they saw the writing on the wall. The immediacy of the problem seems lost on all that are not directly affected by it.

What I have found is that a batch converter is difficult to obtain for use by anybody that does not currently own one. There are software companies that still have the batch converters but it's going to cost $2.50 - 4.50 per file for them to do this for us. We have several thousand files, some date back to drawings from 1955. At a price-per-file that can cause management to choke on the cost. What I have learned about the "unique" aspects of this software relic and the potential for troubles in file conversion (non ASCII code, fonts unlike anybody's, vanishing dimensions, etc.) lead me to believe the company/corporation has kicked this can as far down the road as it's going to go.

If anybody has the non-free version of Creo Elements/Direct Modeling I'd like to ask a couple of questions that may help me here. PTC isn't real good about customer service AFTER the sale. Once again I'd like to thank everybody that took the time to read this thread even if a reply just confirmed my worst suspicions.

Last edited:
guess they'll have to way the cost of translation to the cost of remodeling all the files to the current version of ProE\Creo.

Likely they'll not weigh anything at all. Denial has staying power and can hold a problem no matter how big it is. Somehow, somebody will simply have to enact a solution that doesn't cost anything (upfront) that generates a PO. The decision makers in management can't be bothered by problems that don't affect them directly or they wouldn't have allowed it to reach this stage in the first place. Sounds like I'm venting now so maybe I should stop here after thanking you for your attempts to help Len.

Likely they'll not weigh anything at all. Denial has staying power and can hold a problem no matter how big it is. Somehow, somebody will simply have to enact a solution that doesn't cost anything (upfront) that generates a PO. The decision makers in management can't be bothered by problems that don't affect them directly or they wouldn't have allowed it to reach this stage in the first place. Sounds like I'm venting now so maybe I should stop here after thanking you for your attempts to help Len.

that's to bad, sorry you gotta put up with shortsightedness

Thank you, I try to remind myself (daily/hourly) that if it was fun I'd have to pay them to come here. Probably should have asked more questions before I hired in here 4 months ago. At least I've got a front row seat for the follies that shall certainly follow. Pass me the popcorn.

To RH68, your inbox was full;

One of the problems we were having was that ME-10 was down for some reason and all the files were locked up with it being down. I'm aware that the files can be converted to dwg/dxf inside ME-10 as a "Save As" to a different extension. That's fine IF you have the program running, which we didn't. There's also a file converter inside Creo (we're stuck with PTC products) that will directly open/convert .mi files but it doesn't work on the .mi files that are non-ASCII. In reading/discussions the non-ASCII files are from an older, binary type coding. Even when you CAN convert from .mi files (ASCII type) to a dwg/dxf you may or may not get all the data as the fonts from ME-10 are sometimes non-standard so notation/dimensions may not show up at all. There used to be file converters and even whole companies that were doing batch conversions about 10-15 years ago when everybody saw the handwriting on the wall and bailed out of ME-10, converting their files as they went to modern CAD software. Now that everybody bailed out of the program (except Germany. Japan, and China) there aren't any of the batch converters or companies around to do this. I'm sure I haven't explored ALL possibilities but I looked quite a bit and my conclusion is that any solution is going to be tedious, expensive, or both. My strong advice for anybody still using ME-10 derived software is to bail out as soon as possible. Even the free 2-D software can approximate what this program can do. I'm going to drive a stake into the heart of this software the moment the company can get out from under it. I do appreciate you attempting to help, thank you

I've already found/used the translator that comes with Creo but am not successful in converting the older files, I get a screen message that states the file is not ASCII type. The translator does work for files I create in Creo/save to dxf/convert to .mi and back so it does work for some files.
A batch translator would be great but if a single serving conversion is all that's possible then the company needs to hear this too.

When I receive this error from the .mi translator it's because the file was saved in the ME10 'compressed' format instead of 'standard MI'. These selections can be found under the file opening button: Opts: Store Type. I realize that this doesn't help you because you don't have access to a running ME10.

In reference to batch translation, the translator that came with our ME10 2008 has a batch translation option (option 4). The file format that it needs is just an absolute reference to each file to be translated. This can easily be done with ' dir *.mi /b /s > C:\temp\batch.txt ' in a terminal window. The full explanation is here: http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6110

altus- I just found this reply to my original post. That was nice of you to offer some help but I'd been gone from the company for many months when you posted and did not see your reply. The company that saddled me with this problem had a multitude of issues that had finally come home to roost, the bulk of their designs in ME10 was the tip of the iceberg. However, your reply may be of some help to someone else that's in a similar predicament with ME10. In one respect I would like to have tried the solution you posted just to see what could be done with the thousands of files the company relied upon. Thank you for your attempt to help me, it should help someone.

Back