What's new
What's new

Mirror toolpath problem in Mastercam X3

leftcoastlefty

Plastic
Has anyone run into this problem:

When I mirror a toolpath, the mirrored arc will be in the wrong direction. For example, when I mirrored a simple slot (line, arc, line) the two lines were correct, but the arc is backwards. I can even get it to draw the preliminary toolpath correctly, but then run the toolpath or verify and it arcs a mirror of the intended arc.

Did you analyze the geometry to see if you have problems there? Make sure that the arcs are arcs and not splines and that those entities don't have problems.

Thanks for the help.

The geometry is correct- no duplicates or splines. I get different results by choosing either "toolplane" or "coordinate" in the Types and Methods tab under Transform, but neither one will work. Its just some simple slots from the perimeter of a rectangle. Strangley it may show a correct preliminary toolpath but fail when I run it.

The arc is a mirror of where it is supposed to be. The lines are in the right place. Picture a typical radius on the corner of a simple 2D rectangle, except that now it gouges into the part. Also, if I mirror two slots in +Y to -Y, one of the results will be right and the other wrong. Reversing the toolpath makes no difference. I tried a very similar sketch and used Transform Rotate instead of Transform Mirror and it worked fine.

Thanks

I think we've got a confusion in the verbage going on here. I can do this on my system all day long and it does what it's supposed to.

You're saying that the mirrored toolpath is gouging. So, what used to be an "outside" radius, is now a "inside" radius?

Attachments

• mirror.JPG
    mirror.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 622
Thanks again Psychomill.

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. Once again, when I click on the operation, it shows the correct toolpath. Run it and it does the inside radius.

It looks more like an inversion of G02 to G03 (or vice versa) than a true mirroring defect. I would never expect a mirrored arc to become longer for any reason.

Actually, It looks like a problem in the software to me. Time to send in a bug report and complain.

If MasterCAM's drawing editor is still the same (I'm still running V9) when you create an arc between two points, it shows both possible arcs and has you select which one to keep. It looks like when faced with mirroring the geometry (and the MCAM operations manager can be used to copy and mirror the geometry with the toolpath) it is making the incorrect selection.

Time to get MasterCAM on the horn and find out why no work-ey.

Dennis

Lefty,

This happens in mine also, I just click on the geometry of the mirrored operation and click change side. Also, sometimes you have to click reverse chain. I think the root of the problem is the left or right tool offset is not mirrored but remains on the original side of the geometry.

Thanks for the help guys.

Modelman- I am going to send a "Zip2go utility" to our re-seller to get to the bottom of this. As you may have guessed, I'm a rookie at this. But my geometry is good. As I mentioned earlier, even the preliminary toolpath is good.

It's been so long that I'm forgetful of the particulars, but we've used MasterCAM since release 5, upgrading religiously until release 9, when we decided that the cost, plus the pain of learning a new interface were not worth the small incremental gains applicable to our work, and so with R9 we have stayed.

R9 was, I believe, the first release that required a separately purchased utility to import AutoCAD files; AutoCAD also being in use in our shop. Your question jogged my memory about a problem we had with this MasterCAM utility; The ACAD file contained multiple arcs perpendicular to the XY plane, and the MCAM utility was happily flatening them into the XY plane. A quick call to Mastercam (or the re-seller, but someone from MasterCAM responded directly) determined that it was a known bug, and the fix was already available for download on their web site.

Since X3 (actually release 13) is rather new, I suspect something similar in your case.

Dennis

Psychomill-

It is a new installation. The powers that be at my shop held out with V9 until a month ago, so we damn well should be up to date. I'm not sure all the computers have the right graphics card, but that shouldn't make any difference. BTW in one test I got the correct path by switching to "toolplane" against your advice! Any time I mirror a mirrored event one of the results craps out.

Thanks again.

Just because you have a new install doesn't mean what's loaded is up to date. X3 is on MU1 updates. The install CD is not necessarily including all updates. These are downloadable on the Mastercam website here: X3 Downloads
So check them out and get them or have your IT get them and install. That's a start along with getting CNC Software involved...

BTW.... MCX4 has been released... haven't played with it yet...

Thanks again Psychomill. Is this the one I need? mastercamx3-mu1-web.exe

We don't have an IT guy. We are a pretty small operation and are just a bunch of machinists winging it, so forgive me if I ask any dumb questions. A couple of the other guys are struggling with the posts. Last I saw they were trying to update V9 posts. Didn't seem like a good idea to me. Do you have to know C++ to be proficient with the post de-bugger?

Yep, that should be it... plus grab any other updates on there for file converters, etc...

No IT? Don't fret, ... you just need time for the download since it downloads the entire software with the updates built in. Loading it is another gag because all or you settings go back to default of a new install. You can save configuration files elsewhere then import it back to the update to save some time (this includes your MD and CD files, tool libraries, etc.).

Updating a V9 post shouldn't be a bid deal and you can have the software do it for you by using the "Updatepost.dll" c-hook. A few old posts I had to edit some but they worked. I have some posts that has been updated continuously since V6 or so...

As for the debugging or writing??? You don't need to know didley about C++. Only some syntax and math strings. I can dig up a post manual (I have it somewhere) and I can shoot that over to you.

Thanks again, Psychomill. A post manual would be great. We tried going through the debugger user guide PDF but got confused pretty quickly.

It seemed to us that updating the V9 posts would not let you take full advantage of any improvements in 10. The guy on the horizontal tried to use an updated post and had all kinds of problems. Someone obviously goofed.

Back