What's new
What's new

Spam in PM's

John Stevenson

Stainless
As moderator I'm getting messages about spam, usually from a member called Jeanette.

I cannot ban the offender as they have never posted only made PM's, very clever.
As moderate I have no tools to ban that member, much as I would like, I spent over an hour reading up on this.

If anyone knows a way I'm all ears but as a moderator I don't have the tools.

This has been going on with various forums for over a year

Don can implement changes in the board layout but he doesn't want to loose the ability to PM.

John S.

I've received the same pm.

I don't know how the software is set-up here, but I own a small phpBB forum and I can ban by username, i.p. address, whatever I want. My guess would be that you just don't have the permissions set in your favor. Somebody higher up could do it.

Actually, just last week I noticed a new user on my forum who had not sent any pm's (that I know of) and had not posted. Googled the username and it was a spammer. Banning him was not a problem.

-Walter.

I had wondered why some of the forums I attend have lost the PM capability.

Sounds like this is the reason.

Good Luck to you on Banning the spammers.

Mohawk

Spam messages via PM

I've just had a PM message from the same 'user'. Seemed a rather pointless message, unless the intent is to get one to 'click' on the listed website.

The spammer doesn't seem to be all that bright, they didn't get my user name correct. The two numbers were missing, which might imply that either they're innumerate or that Arabic numbers do not display correctly in whichever location they are in.

Andrew

I don't think so, from reading what others have done it depends how the list is set up.

I can only ban a user if they have made a post and that has only happened on two occasions.

The only options I have for Jeanette is to send 'her' an infringement notice which I won't do as this will only advertise someone is reading the posts.

If anything can be done it's at list owner level and down to Don.

John S.

John,

I'm a moderator on a busy RC plane forum. We use the same forum software. You should be able to login to the moderator control panel. Then choose the ban user link. It will have you type the user name into the block. Then ckick to ban. If you have suffiecient permissions to ban a user for a bad post you should also be able to clobber them via the control panel.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info or help.

--
Mike N

Back