What's new
What's new

Modeling soft jaws in Solidworks question

Edster

Diamond
I make soft jaws regularly to hold parts for milling. Typically I just import a .dxf outline of the shape into my CAM system and move the shape into the correct position. I'm getting more into machine simulation and modeling my fixtures with the parts in them. I have models of my chick tombstone and can't figure out a simple way of doing this in Solidworks.

My tombstone is an assembly, then I made an assembly from it and inserted the soft jaws and mated them to the tombstone. Then I inserted the parts and mated them to the top of the softjaws and dragged them into the approximate place I want them. How do I go about using the shape of the part to modify the individual part files for the softjaws?

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

Attachments

• Chick Tombstone.JPG
    Chick Tombstone.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 628
Do you want to make the part files linked and dependent on each other? Also 2.5d profiles or full 3d geometry in the soft jaws?

Either way position the part exactly where it needs to be in the fixture and lock its position down. My preferred way to make an independent part then is to go to edit part then create a new extruded-cut and convert the example edges to a drawing then make the cut all while not allowing external references. Obviously you can allow external references and make things linked.

For complex 3d geometry you can again select edit part on the vise jaw, then go to insert - features - cavity. Select the part as the template and hit ok. Nice and easy. Again, you can make the decision to keep the files linked or not.

Ivan

Ed,
I use Assembly Features -> Extruded Cut (s) on the jaws in the manufacturing assembly. (and do not select to propagate down to the part level)

In the sketch, use "Convert Entities" to grab the edges of your part...then relieve as appropriate, of course.

In your assembly, edit your soft jaws, select the outside of your part (edges), convert entities, extrude cut to whatever depth and you're done.

I like to use the cavity function for this. Click on the part you want to modify in your assembly (your softjaw) and choose the icon that says "edit part" Then I go to the feature menu and choose the cavity function. You will then be prompted to choose the part that you want to use to do the modifying (your part) check OK. If you then open that part it will now have the mating shape in it.

Covert entitles/Project add circles for the relieve done.. then use the cam software to control the fit of the part in soft jaws.. I used to write on the machine or use the parts of part g code then it became a pain so I have the files/models neatly organized to find them again.

Wrote a program in NX to make step jaws and circle etc also that was pretty cool could do the same with solidworks using the library feature

In your assembly, edit your soft jaws, select the outside of your part (edges), convert entities, extrude cut to whatever depth and you're done.

+1 on this. However, sometimes you have to add corner reliefs and such if there are outside sharp corners.

Back