What's new
What's new

Need advice on cad/ cam for 5 axis machining center

gearhed1971

Plastic
hello, I need some sdvice pertaining to making the transition from 2d lathe programming to 3d programming regarding a 5 axis machining center. Not being experienced with this , I do not know for sure what CAD we will be using, looking around right now. The owner who does not really know anything other than what the machinery dealers tell him, is considering Alphacam. I have been using Megacad 2d and am very used to it's functions though. The reason I bring this up is that I downloaded sketchup to try to get a look at 3d drawing, but HATED the program. I enjoy the functionality of Megacad, and am very used to right click tool drop, whereas with sketchup I felt like I just walked through burdocks ( stuck to everything I touched).
The machine this will most likeley be used with will either be a Holzher 7125 or possibly a CMS ares. Yes, this is for wood also

I can't offer any advice, but I sent you a private message.
There a number of threads on here on the subject. depend what machine tool your trying to 'match' it to.

I use Alphacam ultimate router on CMS Antares and PF111 machines. It's very good in my opinion. However it is the only software I've used.... most people I speak to suggest Alphacam, Delcam or NX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate is what we're looking at, does it bahave like sketchup? What I mean by that is does it right click release tools, or do you have to select a new one to get out of it?

Ultimate is what we're looking at, does it bahave like sketchup? What I mean by that is does it right click release tools, or do you have to select a new one to get out of it?

Not sure, Haven't used sketch up.

In Alphacam you use right-click (or esc) to confirm geometry selections and such.... So for example, you click the delete function icon - left-click to select the geometries to delete - right-click to confirm you have finished your selection. you are then asked are you sure... click OK. The delete tool stays open until you right-click to to close.

I hope that makes sense to you.

You used to be able to install Alphacam from a disc and run it in "education" mode without a license to get used to the software. Obviously you can't output NC Code while using this mode.

Im pretty fluent in alphacam. At our shop i program cnc routers,mills, and our lathe. I do not have any experience with programming 5axis. Alphacam is pretty easy to pick up. If you should go that route i fair warn you to always check your rapids. Specifically on the lathe and where you will be 5axis machining. Re-ordering operations and adjusting operations can change somethings you might not expect in regards to approaching and retracting.

Delcam has been bought out by Autodesk. The PowerMill and FeatureCam offerings from them are really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used Alphacam, Mastercam X9 for Solidworks and Rhinocam in a wood shop driving routers. Alphacam and Rhinocam I have used for 3 axis, Mastercam for 3 and 5 axis. Are you planning on using this for both a CAD and a CAM package? Compared to Solidworks and Rhino, Alphacam is not on the same level as a CAD package in terms of features, ease of use, support etc. Of course, depending on your annoyance tolerance and the complexity of your CAD work, it may be just fine. I really like that Mastercam and Rhinocam can be integrated into powerful CAD programs- reduces the learning curve and prevents most file cross-compatibility issues (which we had quite a few of in Alphacam). Of course, this all impacts your budget as you'd have to purchase separate licenses for your CAD and CAM programs.

For just CAM work, they all have their quirks and I would not worry too much about specific interface conventions as you will get used to whatever you decide on. That said, I did find Alphacam cumbersome compared to Mastercam for SW and Rhinocam, although that is maybe because I am used to Solidworks and Rhino interfaces. Make sure your chosen CAM program has postprocessor support for your machines- if the software reseller says they have a post, have them produce demonstration programs for your specific machine! This is really important because it can be a lot of $$ and weeks of time if you need to resolve postprocessor issues.

Not really sure why you are bringing Sketchup into this. Judge software on its own terms- any legitimate provider of CAD/CAM software should be able to provide some sort of free trial of what they are selling.

I would choose software for 5axis by the way it does 5Axis contouring, i.e. all 5 moving simultaneously.

OR

Are you going to use for indexing / positioning and cut?

Horizontal w/ dual rotary tables, vert with trunion?

Now, about the postprocessor?

Thid gets tricky and costly,
Do you really have the work for it?

I concur. I started out in ancient times using APT and DAC ARELEM running on the old IBM system 370 mainframe.
From there I went to CATIA version 3 & 4. Either way, 5-axes simultaneous motion is governed by the x, y, and z
coordinates of the tool end points and the tool-axis vectors associated with them. From these data, a good post
will move the machine and produce the part. But as always the devil is in the details.

Back