What's new
What's new

Need Help with BobCAD V29

toolnuts

Cast Iron
Hi All,

I have been having trouble with BobCad V29.

I can't change the "CAM Defaults". If I add a machine or select

a different machine, and select "make it the default", it always

goes back to "BC_3x_mill" if I check it.

I have tried everything to try and get it to change to a different

machine, with the configuration that I want, but it never allows

me to change it from "BC_3x_mill".

If when I first go into BobCad, I select the machine I want, but never

sticks - always right back to "BC_3x_mill".

What do I need to do to get to work with the correct machine?

I'm trying to get it to take my Charmilles Robofil 510F wire machine.

Thanks for any help, and Best Regards,

Paul Hoffman

Paul,

You may need to launch BobCAD with administrator rights, and then change it. I have seen this a few times with it. Normally, I try and make sure that it is installed AS administrator. It is not the way things should be done in the grand scheme of things. Technically, the installer should not require admin rights to function properly, nor should the running instance of the program. But, the fact is that BobCAD seems to need it in some instances. You can right click the shortcut, move your mouse over the actual executable link in the menu that pops up, left click it again, and choose "run as administrator". Then make your changes and they should stick.

You can also temporarily uninstall it, and then reinstall it as admin and that should also help for the future.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Paul,

You may need to launch BobCAD with administrator rights, and then change it. I have seen this a few times with it. Normally, I try and make sure that it is installed AS administrator. It is not the way things should be done in the grand scheme of things. Technically, the installer should not require admin rights to function properly, nor should the running instance of the program. But, the fact is that BobCAD seems to need it in some instances. You can right click the shortcut, move your mouse over the actual executable link in the menu that pops up, left click it again, and choose "run as administrator". Then make your changes and they should stick.

You can also temporarily uninstall it, and then reinstall it as admin and that should also help for the future.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Zahnrad,

I tried running as administrator with no effect,
it still would not move off "BC_3x_mill" no matter
what I tried.

Paul

Most likeky you are not filling out all the required info to change the settings.
For an in depth explanation of what you need to do,just go to the "HELP" menu and look up "How to create a machine"
Bob's Help menu has lot's of info

I just tried to switch to one of their wire EDM machines, and it won't
let me do that either. I tried switching to the Charmilles Millenium, which
came with the BobCad software, just as they defined it.

Paul

Well I figured it out. You have to make the change in the
particular job you are trying to do IE: "Wire EDM Job", and
not the "CAM Defaults".

It looks like the CAM defaults are hard wire, forever to BC_3x_mill.
I Don't understand why they would have it like this. Just get
rid of CAM defaults and have the user set the machine they are
targeting.

Oh Well, at least I got to where I want to go.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

Well no,you can't
Just so you know,if I am in the mill mode and have 3 different mills,my defaults most likely would not have default BC 3axis mill
I would create one for each mill and name it accordingly
Because with each one comes all the other defaults like machine definitions and posting choices which could very likely vary from machine to machine.And if you get into the Full Simulation Pro each one will need its own machine definitions to simulate properly.So depending on what machine I use I would have 3 choices to choose from.So kinda need the current settings page to work as is.
If have no wire license I can't get into wire mode anyway,so I can't pick a wire machine and its definitions,,,makes sense

JSYK,the only reason there is only one choice in the milling mode is there probably thousands of variations of machine definitions for the 3,4,5 axis machines.
The 3 axis BC mill is just generic.It will work,but if you are running a mill it is worth your time to set-up the machine definitions.
If nothing else,at least simulation will catch over travels and such.
Do read the help menu as I stated earlier though.
I understand your frustration but got to realize the software does Laser,Water Jet,Lathe,Mill and thousands of possible variations of configurations for each individual machine,and on top of that,many users have licenses for more than one type of machine and many have more than just one machine for each type.So it really works well the way it is set up in the grand scheme of things.They just did not set it up ideally for your particular use in this case.

And this is why I put bobcad in the bin then moved to better software with decent help, It infuriates me when a company takes money then refuses to actually help as they said to me they would do, CAM software is the type of software that needs help with setting up and use, a half hearted approach is so discouraging, however I wish you luck with your issue.

Yeah having an extensive Help menu installed in the software and hundreds of video's on You Tube and 90 days Free Support is truly lacking,,those Bastards

Hi All,

I'm trying to get it to take my Charmilles Robofil 510F wire machine.

Paul Hoffman

CAM Defaults.jpg

After choosing your settings and clicking " Save as a Default " You should be good to go. One thing you can try if the default is not sticking, is save the BBCD file after you set your default. Then close the software and open it back up. If you are still having an issue please let me know so we can help get this sorted out.

Attachments

• 2018-01-15_10-31-07.jpg
    2018-01-15_10-31-07.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 91
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I had another unrelated issue after I downloaded V29 several months ago. It made my computer lock up when trying to use my previous version of BobCad, Solidworks or even V29 itself. It started almost immediately after the download and had to have one of the BobCad guys do a remote login session to try and resolve it. No luck! After several forced shutdowns of my computer because of BobCad and Solidworks becoming unresponsive, I finally just uninstalled it and it returned to working fine.

Back