What's new
What's new

Need printer/plotter advice

Bulletbobb

Plastic
I am using an old version of Vellum on my PC, and I need a printer or plotter that can handle B-size drawings. Anything bigger than that I can have done commercially. I assume there are such places.

Anyone have any suggestions that don't break the bank?

Bob

The HP Deskjet 9650 (about $200) comes to mind as well as many other Inkjet printers in the 11x17 format. Google 11x17 printers and see what you find. The problem with most of these less expensive types is the cost of replacement ink and their small ink cartridges, which means if you are printing very much, you will be buying a lot of them.

Don't think there are new 9650's out there for $200.....
Awhile back you could get the 9650 from Staples for $249. Newer models use an ink cartridge that holds even less ink.
Personally, I wouldn't consider buying one used on Ebay.....

I considered buying one, then found a local guy that refurbishes HP plotters. Got a 36" (D size) Designjet 230 from him for $450. Included 2 spare new ink cartridges. You can get the cartridges for it on Ebay for $11. It does a nice job, holds only 1 cartridge at a time, and I only plot in black anyway, so not a problem.

dk

Bob,

I've got an old (mid 80's) IBM B size plotter. Forget the model number. Also got a huge bag full of spare pens for it, paper type and "transparency" type. You can have the whole mess for $85 including shipping. It worked when I unplugged it a few years ago, but can't make any promises. Have all the IBM tech manuals for it, too. If you need more details, let me know here or email (in my profile) and I'll dig it out of the closet.

Mark

OK,

I dug the sucker out of the closet. It's a lot heavier than I remembered. Better figure an additional $20 for shipping, call it $100 even if interested.

It's an IBM model 7372, exact replica of the HP 7475A.

Will throw in a cable and a null modem *if* I can dredge that up.

Mark

Back