What's new
What's new

Nesting and configurable part dimensions

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.
I am looking for software that would allow me to cam multiple parts in a nest and allow me to modify the dimensions. As an example something like cabinet doors. Where some dimensions (width and length) change and some dimensions (holes for door hinges) stay within the same place relative to the size of the overall door. I want this so instead of designing each door and then running it through cam I can just change the dimensions in the dialogue box and have the cam system lay it out on the sheet.

I know about nesting in Mastercam, and the version I used did pretty good nesting, but the problem was that I still had to design each door. At the moment I am using part variations in solidworks and table driven design and was wondering if something like the expanded to mastercam figuring out how to lay all of the parts on one sheet.

Thank you.

I do not know of any software that will do 3D nesting, I have asked some of the companies that run inside SolidWorks and they ask me why I want that because I have a slew of different part I need to get the best yield that will be double stuck down to the table and the cut. They then say wow never thought of that...hmm.
they say it is for sheet materials only not multi level parts. To hard they say. Only 2D.

so I have to manually do it in SW, takes awhile but if you have a CAM package that runs inside SW and you use configuration the toolpath remembers the features so if you switch between sizes the toolpath updates. This is a quick explication you'd have to play around a little but once working works slick.

Perhaps Radan? They kept trying to pitch their nesting capabilities to me, but we don't really use it. Couldn't say if it is parametric modeling or not. Might be worth checking out?

Radan blows.

Sigmanest allows you modify the part geometry on the fly with no issues... we program and nest huge quantities of work with that. It links up extremely well with Inventor, which opens up a huge range of possibilities to come up with a solution to your problem. Your best bet of course is doing those changes in Inventor, where the sheet metal parts can be drawn and constrained in such a way as to allow very quick alterations while keeping certain features intact (changing a door height while maintaining jamb shape and hinge holes in the same orientation). Cabinets are huge for us and we've got this down to a science.

well I see they finally did it, this was one of the softwares I asked years ago to do this.

Attachments

• sigmanest.jpg
    sigmanest.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 155
well I see they finally did it, this was one of the softwares I asked years ago to do this.

It's incredibly feature packed software and they are constantly, on a monthly basis, adding features and improving bugs. we report to them constantly with the latest issues and their service is excellent... I can't recommend any nesting software more highly than SigmaNEST.

Back