What's new
What's new

New to CAM..Best Practices and methods

Chips-Ahoy

Aluminum
I have been programming at the control for a few years and I just recently decided to start using CAM software. We (My company) has had software since I got here but, know one ever uses it. I have started to use it and I would just like some advice on the best methods and reasons behind them. For example...while fat fingering it at the control I never had my tool paths arc into a cut..but It seems to be a default method of software. I understand why...but I do not understand why I want to arc in with certain size R vs the default setting. Aslo I have the option to set my lead-in feed, lead-out feed individually..Generally I run my lead in a slight bit slower and the lead out the same as my cutting feed. Any advice is appreciated.

It'd be helpful if you let us know what software it is.

So we have CAM Works and HSM Xspress (The free version of HSM Works). I have Haas machines and they do not have the High speed look ahead turned on...so I have not been able to use HSM Xspress to its full advantage.

CAM Works is the most hideously designed software I have ever used, where ergonomic flow and general use of the software is concerned. I have used it some, but I need to sit down and figure out the data base and tweek it. AFR dose not work at all at this point.

I am mostly concerned with the reasons behind some of the options software allows me and applicable examples of where they might be used.

Also I am only using software for the mills. VF1 w/ a 4th and EC400 Horizontal. I have never done any full 4th contouring/surfacing ...but I cant wait to have a reason to.

Well snap, I don't have experience with either of those, although I do have a few different cam systems under my belt.

Is there anything more specific you have questions about? I'd like to help, but the question is so broad I don't know where to start.

Chips-Ahoy: I was in the exact same position as you a year and a half ago, and I agree about CAMWorks entirely. I program in HSMWorks exclusively now, and used it to prove that the HSM option on our VF-6SS was worth the money. By the time the 200 hour trial was up, it had paid for the option already and then some.

FWIW I set leads the same as feeds in all my toolpaths, but we don't cut any difficult materials: mild steel, aluminum, rarely any grades of stainless, soon some Dura Bar ductile iron.

If you want to PM me I can go over some of what I learned using HSMXpress for a year before we bought the subscription. If you want to send me a demo part I can make a video of how I'd program it (which you might hate, who knows?) or send it back depending on which version of SolidWorks you've got. Well, I can on Monday anyway :cheers:

The only answer I have for your lead in/out arc question is that it just depends. It depends on personal preference, part geometry, room for your tool, etc etc etc. Sometimes I swing a small radius, sometimes I swing a big radius (actually I rarely ever do that), sometimes I turn off the radius on the lead in because I'm starting outside the part and I don't need it... There's no formula or anything like that. It's not like a part size of 1x4x8 will equal a necessary lead in radius of .5". Often the default is just set to 100% of cutter diameter which is then adjusted for clearance or efficiency. Most of the time I use as small of a lead in as necessary just so I'm not wasting time cutting air.

My best advice: Get used to over riding defaults (especially feeds and speeds) and foster a healthy mistrust of anything the cam wants to do by itself

Lást year Sandvik experta recomended that leading in and out in arcs seriously increases tool Life. One point for HSM!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I had done quite a bit of testing a couple of years ago on the effect of using arc lead in/out with end mills while side milling after seeing a recommendation from all three of Sandvik, Iscar, and Kennametal. There main reference was for face milling though.

I was largely cutting low carbon alloy steels, and the resulting tool life increase when using high DOC peel milling with arc lead in/out was a solid 20% improvement over straight lead in/out. The most traceable part of that was related to the lead in, as the lead out often already had the thick-to-thin transition inherently there.

I can't say what the result would be on aluminum though, as I've only recently transitioned to that side.

Do some testing for yourself on your parts. Then you'll know for certain.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not trying to complicate things but...

Typical arc-in moves when climb cutting are usually G03 but I think what jdeltorto might be talking about is high performance cutters manufacturers recommend rolling into a cut. For example if you have a slot going into a part you'd use a G02 so the cutter gradually rolls into the slot which results in less shock, gradually increasing the tool load.

I am also very new to CAD/CAM with Bobcad.
What I like about the radiused leads is the reduction of tool marks you would have on a plunge.
I do not always eliminate them, but with a bit more work I might be able to do so. Especially hard to do with the drop-out parts.
But starting to use tabs in those instances.
Anyhow, it is all starting to pay now, but it takes a long time.

Back