What's new
What's new

New computer will not load models in Onecnc XR3

mogtract

Plastic
Hi

I am looking a bit of advice please.

I have been using Onecnc xr3 since 2009 on the same computer to do all my cnc / cad work from my small machine shop

Never had any problems as it did what I needed to do.

However of recent times my trusted laptop has become v slow and crashes a lot, so I took the plunge and purchased a new desktop:

Dell OptiPlex
64bit
i7 processor
windows 10

As Onecnc XR3 is 32bit I made sure the new pc was backwards compatible, and was advised it was.

I loaded onecnc xr3 and saved into the appropriate Program File (X86) folder and hay presto it opens and I can draw.

But for some reason I cant open any previous created onecnc models or toolpaths. Nor can I open any cad file of any extension, or download any from emails I get sent to quote for.

Has anyone any ideas. When I contacted onecnc they advised that they no longer support XR3.

Any help would be fantastic

Thanks

Paul

My guess is that it won't run on Windows 10. Even the current version (XR6) lists windows 7 (not 8 or 10) in its system requirements.

You could try compatibility mode, but I doubt that will work. XR3 is a pretty old version, I think Vista was the last supported OS for that version.

Compatibility mode is likely the best option.

However, if you can make new drawings, then perhaps it is something to do with permissions. Windows has gotten progressively more strict between admin privileges and user privileges....for your own safety, and this causes some issues. I would log out as a user and log in again as admin and then try running the program. If it works that way, then you would know that is the issue.

It could also be due to 'unknown file types' and you might have to add XFA and other file types you need to open, in File explorer. Again, this would be due to Windows 10 security settings for particular users.

Back