Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New offer from Autodesk

Guys, just puttin' it out there, this is what came in via E-mail today:

Get the power to make anything
    Be prepared for now and the future - trade in your old perpetual licenses and trade up to new 1- or 3-year subscriptions of your choice.

You can save on any eligible software including our new industry collections, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Revit, Inventor, 3ds Max, Maya, and many more.

Don't wait, this offer ends April 20, 2018.
    save now

SWITCH-BACK OPTION We’re committed to your ongoing satisfaction. If you’re not completely satisfied, you can switch back to your perpetual license.
    So now the million$ question: What EXACTLY is the difference between a perpetual seat vs. subscription seat versions of any of ADSK's software?

'Cos from what I was told ( and E-mailed in the past ), they are both exactly the same except one expires and the other don't.
    And, if they are in fact identical, then why would I be more satisfied with the flavor with a ticking time bomb in it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the old "perpetual licenses", if you skipped a couple of versions, and wanted to upgrade from, say AutoCAD 2015 to AutoCAD 2018, you would pay less than some upgrading from 2010 to 2018.

The subscription is designed to keep you on the latest version. If you don't subscribe, you don't get updates for free, but the program itself will keep working even without a subscription. I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.
    OK, so there is one advantage: If you are a perpetual holder without active maintenance, you can trade-in the perpetual license and get the latest revision for a year.

So what about for those WITH active maintenance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the same email, but I must have interpreted it wrong

If you have a 2015 perpetual version and decide to "trade it in" the agreement says you are not longer entitled to use that perpetual license. So lets say I trade it in for 2018 subscription. The agreement also says there is a 2-3year period before you can go back. So if I decide to go back to my perpetual do I give up the current subscription that I got to use for 2 years and get my old 2015 perpetual license back that won't open any of the last 2 years worth of work? or do I go back to perpetual at the current subscription version I was at?

5. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    If you don't subscribe, you don't get updates for free, but the program itself will keep working even without a subscription. I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.
    You may be getting subscription and maintenance terms confused. When a subscription is not paid the software will NOT continue to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I got the same email, but I must have interpreted it wrong

If you have a 2015 perpetual version and decide to "trade it in" the agreement says you are not longer entitled to use that perpetual license. So lets say I trade it in for 2018 subscription. The agreement also says there is a 2-3year period before you can go back. So if I decide to go back to my perpetual do I give up the current subscription that I got to use for 2 years and get my old 2015 perpetual license back that won't open any of the last 2 years worth of work? or do I go back to perpetual at the current subscription version I was at?
    you'll need your magnifying glass to read the Willy Wonka super fine print at the bottom of the contract!

8. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    you'll need your magnifying glass to read the Willy Wonka super fine print at the bottom of the contract!
    FY19 Q1 Autodesk – Global Field Promotion

Sounds like you go back to your old version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With HSMworks, Autodesk decided to make it not work with newer versions of Solidworks. This is a new change and an entirely arbitrary restriction to force people onto their subscriptions.

So they're making my $8000 software worth... $1600... but then again, they already made it worth 0, so...

11. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    With HSMworks, Autodesk decided to make it not work with newer versions of Solidworks. This is a new change and an entirely arbitrary restriction to force people onto their subscriptions.

So they're making my $8000 software worth... $1600... but then again, they already made it worth 0, so...
    What do you mean it doesn't work with newer versions on SW?
    If your HSMWorks falls with in the 3 year window it does and that isn't an autodesk thing, HSMworks did that before they got bought out. I have run HSMWorks 2015 with SW2017, then HSMworks 2016 in SW17 and HSMWorks 17 in SW17 and 18.

so HSMWork 2015 will work in SW2018 , HSMWorks 2014 will not

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your HSMWorks falls with in the 3 year window it does and that isn't an autodesk thing, HSMworks did that before they got bought out. I have run HSMWorks 2015 with SW2017, then HSMworks 2016 in SW17 and HSMWorks 17 in SW17 and 18.

Also, how in the world would you expect an external vendor to develop a future-proof add-in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You must have a special version, because HSMWorks is backwards compatible with SW not forward compatible. Much like Rob said the can't really guarantee future proof software. I have never gotten it to work and the reason I did not upgrade to SW2018.

HSWorks 2018 will run in SW2015 but not the other way on the installs I have. I can even remember not being able to install the newest version of SW until the HSMWorks make a compatible version.

Len dont you run educational versions of SW? aren't they always a year behind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Also, how in the world would you expect an external vendor to develop a future-proof add-in?
    I had had HSMWorks 16 when SW 17 came out and it worked just fine didn't update it until SW was more solid after sp0.

hell I have solidcam 15 and it still works in SW 17

as well as quite a few other add ins that are two to three yrs old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post

Len dont you run educational versions of SW? aren't they always a year behind?
    yes and a research seat which is the same as commercial release, plus I also do side work with companies that are on the current releases

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nevermind the below I see you already answered it.

Glad it works for you.

yes but isn't your SW2017 really the commercial SW2016

Like I said I would love to have it work like that on mine, but I have tried it. a couple years ago when HSMWorks gave me a license extension and when it expired and I had to go back to the previous version I could not install it with a newer version of SW.

Glad it works for you,but I have a feeling it does not for most.