What's new
What's new

New seat of SW2018 standard can I use an older version (2017) instead?

Edster

Diamond
I have a seat of Solidworks 2017 premium. After paying maintenance for years I decided to let it lapse last year because it was overpriced for my needs. Now I need another seat of standard which will probably be 2018 and I don't think the files will be backwards compatible. Is it possible to just install 2017 on the new computer and register that with the new license?

I'm planning to contact my reseller, just was curious if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Not entirely clear on what you're asking, but I've had multiple versions of SW installed across several computers for as long as I've been working in it. You just need a license for the version you want to run.

One thing to keep in mind: if you run multiple sessions of SW on a computer at the same time, whether they are the same version or not, expect to have registry issues.

I bet Len_1962 has the answer. But he is too busy watching the weather channel, laughing at the people in Wisconsin.

Yes I am laughing cause it's 70 degrees and sunny and riding the Harley and I have very cute women walking across campus!!

as for SW.
You are only allowed to use SW on one PC at a time, you have to deactivate on one then reactivate on the other, that is if you upgrade, but if you buy another seat no problem.
serial numbers

You can have as many versions of SW as you care to have, I've had up to 5, so update SW2017 to the latest SP, then install SW2108 as a new install, not an update.

you are also correct in the statement that SW2018 file are not able to open in SW2017, in SP5 2017 you can open but you can not modify, more of a viewer only.

Back