What's new
What's new

New SURFCAM (re-branded EdgeCAM) videos

John is just a hater, but this time I'll have to agree

i'd stay with traditional.

I also have Traditional, but the new stuff was obtained for the price of maintenance and training. That leaves me with two seats of software, and my assistant is in the process of learning Traditional so we both know how to use it. I figured if he's programming with that I can program with the other and we can both be making something happen.

Feel free to break out your checkbook and buy me something better.

I don't remember if you're hobby or pro.

If hobby, use whatever.

If pro, you're insane to use traditional surfcam. How many hours do you want to waste fooling around with that crap? How much money does that cost you? Your head would spin if you saw how fast our programmers crank out programs with CAM like HSMworks.

So Surfcam is now Edgecam? I see both on the Vero site. What's different between Surfcam and Edgecam if they are selling one package under both names.?

If hobby, use whatever.

If pro, you're insane to use traditional surfcam. How many hours do you want to waste fooling around with that crap? How much money does that cost you? Your head would spin if you saw how fast our programmers crank out programs with CAM like HSMworks.

Do you use either programs yourself? Or is your experience just what the programmers at your shop tell you?

Don't they have free fusion out right now or is that promo done? I have used surfcam in the past at a shop that switched to mastercam. I wasn't impressed. I'm a mastercam fanboy so I understand sticking with what you know.

Do you use either programs yourself? Or is your experience just what the programmers at your shop tell you?

I used surfcam for fifteen years and hsmworks for about five. I don't program anymore though. Too old, too brain dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also have Traditional, but the new stuff was obtained for the price of maintenance and training. That leaves me with two seats of software, and my assistant is in the process of learning Traditional so we both know how to use it. I figured if he's programming with that I can program with the other and we can both be making something happen.

@ Charlie Grey
We got the same deal but they "VERO" never had any training for it here in AZ, until November of 16.
I was the only one in it for 2 days, the automated way of producing code is the simplest but to do manual ops is very time consuming.
so for the 2 days I came out with..... I'll use surfcam Traditional over surfcam (rebranded EdgeCam).

One thing you may need to check on is the User License Agreement, legally you may only be able to use one or the other at the same time on 2 PC's.

Do you still have the Dongle or are you using the locked to PC activation?

So Surfcam is now Edgecam? I see both on the Vero site. What's different between Surfcam and Edgecam if they are selling one package under both names.?

Mud

There are two versions of surfcam now where the name surfcam is tied to rebranded EdgeCam, just changed all the EdgeCam nomenclature it surfcam, and surfcam traditional is the one we all know and love :stirthepot:, except for John Welden, this happen just after VERO purchased surfcam from Surfware, they were going to first call it surfcam EVO.

If hobby, use whatever.

I've got about 14,000 hours of seat time with surf, many of them cutting molds and model parts. I have workarounds figured out, and can crank out code as fast as anybody. I've tried HSMworks, and in my opinion the best stuff they have is given away for free with the 2D version. It sucks for 3D surfacing.

I've got about 14,000 hours of seat time with surf, many of them cutting molds and model parts. I have workarounds figured out, and can crank out code as fast as anybody. I've tried HSMworks, and in my opinion the best stuff they have is given away for free with the 2D version. It sucks for 3D surfacing.

lol... okay buddy, stick with what you know and your work arounds. :rolleyes5:

FYI, we also use NX and Hypermill which are both vastly superior or Surfcam. Too bad you're stuck using what you've always used. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Charlie do you also use SolidWorks?

Yep, we use SW. We have multiple seats with network licensing. When I started here we had HSMworks for CAM programming, and the issue that created for us was me tying up a seat of design software so I could write CNC programs.

As far as licensing with surf goes, I have Traditional installed on a computer I share with my assistant and the new stuff installed on my computer. We don't run into conflicts that way.

The more I work with the new stuff the more I figure out how to get code out of it. I do find it interesting that views seem to be tied to the origin of the part as imported. I brought a part in and edited the coordinate system to position the part, and now when I select the "Top View" it turns the machine upside down.

Yep, we use SW. We have multiple seats with network licensing. When I started here we had HSMworks for CAM programming, and the issue that created for us was me tying up a seat of design software so I could write CNC programs.

As far as licensing with surf goes, I have Traditional installed on a computer I share with my assistant and the new stuff installed on my computer. We don't run into conflicts that way.

The more I work with the new stuff the more I figure out how to get code out of it. I do find it interesting that views seem to be tied to the origin of the part as imported. I brought a part in and edited the coordinate system to position the part, and now when I select the "Top View" it turns the machine upside down.

Planetary Resources can't afford a seat of solidworks for you?

They can afford an assistant for you, but not basic software every programer should have?

Why did they hire a dinosaur like you to program their machines?

Back